Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > A few more questions - Wood Ageing, Gradual Sugar Addition?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
RobWalker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default A few more questions - Wood Ageing, Gradual Sugar Addition?

Right, I'm going to make a Budweiser clone (from Dave Line's "Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy." Budweiser appear to use a Beechwood Ageing process, where they boil the chips for 7 hours in sodium bicarbonate to remove any flavor from the wood itself. "Anheuser-Busch refers to this process as a secondary fermentation, with the idea being that the chips give the yeast more surface area to rest on" - so this said, is this worth bothering with? If so, when in the process should I attempt it? I usually just brew in the bucket and transfer to a keg.

I realise that Bud is awful in the eyes of some people, so for that, I apologise.

As for gradual sugar addition on another brew, I'm pretty clued up, but last time I did it with molasses, there was some serious fizz going on - the whole thing overflowed as soon as the sugar touched it. This time I'm using Glucose and tinned fruit, so will I still have the same issue?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

So, it sounds like they add the wood for no reason but to increase surface area. No flavors at all. I would say skip it, as Bud is not one for complex and subtle flavors. Been a LONG time since I had any (college party a while back), but I doubt it needs it.

Uncertain what you mean about gradual sugar additions. Into the fermenter throughout the fermentation? During the boil? If during the boil, I don't see why it would overflow even with molasses, as I have never had that issue.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Into the fermenter

Old 06-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
barrog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think your fizz problem is the traped CO2 was disturbed and all came out at once. Try giveing it a gentle swirl with a long sanitized spoon to release the gas before adding the sugar.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have a degasser, so I'll use that. I'm sure if anything, it'll make it better in the long run too. Thanks!

Quick Reply