Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > A few flat bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
Jordan Wilson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A few flat bottles?

After 3 weeks in the primary and 3 in the bottles, I put a 22oz and a 12oz bottle of my second batch ever- an extract-recipe Wit- in the fridge. Cracked em open a couple days later, and was happy as could be with the results. Wonderful taste, rich head, clean finish, etc etc etc.

Threw another 6 pack of 12's and a few 22's in the fridge. Me and my girl killed the 6 pack on Friday night, completely full of ourselves because of how good it came out.

Then we cracked a couple of the 22's last night- FLAT! Almost no head at all, and the flavor was of course affected. Very disappointing.

Has anyone ever had this problem before, where some of the bottles will end up flat? What could have caused this? and how do I prevent it?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It takes a little longer for the larger size bottles to carb and condition....I wrote a long post explaining this awhile ago, but the mechanics of why don't really matter. Just pull the ones out of the fridge, when they warm up a bit, roll them baclk and forth on a table to re-suspend the yeast...and put them back in your warm spot. Check on them in a week, then maybe even another one.

I bottle some beers in pints and 22's and they always take longer than my 12's of the same batch.

Think about it, the yeasties have to eat more in the larger bottles so it takes them longer to go from top to bottom, and "fart" co2.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Perhaps a little more information on the bottleng process you used would help?

How did you sanatise the bottles?
How did you prime the bottles/batch?
Was it only the 22's that didn't carbonate?

Hope we can help...
EDIT: Wow Revvy, beat me again... And with actual helpfulness!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Could the cap just not have been crimped on tight? Had 2 cases of 12 ouncers in my batch of cream ale, all perfect except one. Had to be the cap.

Quick Reply