Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Festa brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
musicdjs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Festa brew

Hello, I just tasted my first batch of brew and can't believe how good it tasted. Lots of body with FRESH aromas of caramel, nuts and other complex notes. Just Beautiful!

I bought the Festa brown ale and it tastes as good as the commercial craft beers. I enjoyed it so much that a just bought the double oatmeal stout last week.

Anyone try Festa brew ????

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
Riot
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did a few festa kits when I was starting out. They produce excellent beer as long as you treat your yeast reasonably, and the clarity is beyond comparison with no effort.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
Hfxhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My first batch ever was a festa brew cream ale, it was excellent and without a shadow of a doubt is what got me hooked further into the hobby once I found I COULD make great tasting beer myself.

I haven't used a festa brew kit since because they are over $40 where I live and honestly I can make beer just as good by putting a to-style recipe together on a recipe calculator and buying my ingredients. If i do that I can make a great beer for around $25-30 and I get the bonus of putting the recipe together and having some control over what goes into the beer.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
Riot
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree, they are very expensive compared to ingredient cost. I would consider doing another one if my store were to get in the IPA, just hoping it tasts like True North.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
Hfxhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The IPA comes in seasonally where I live and it's $45. In the context of beer it's still cheap compared to store bought, but in context of home brewing it's the most expensive way to make beer yourself IMO.

That being said, I live in the Maritimes and I would bet most of the cost comes from shipping 23kilos of wort from Quebec. If you live near the facility where it's made it might be cheaper? I'd hope so anyway.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
slacker1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I live in Ontario and it is much cheaper here. The IPA used to cost $35. Now with a price hike it's going to be $42 or so. Still cheaper than in the Maritimes. However, it is now going to be available year round.

Because of the cold weather, I cannot cook outside and just had to buy a Festa Brew kit; a regular Pale Ale, and its price was $37. I'd probably use that much propane in my boil - just kidding, but it would be a significant cost.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
Jacinthebox
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 49

great way to fall in love with brewing...help me learn ferm temps, Gravity checks, how to properly clean/sanitize...

Tap #1: Dos Amigo Tap #2: Amarillo Pale Ale Tap #3: Summer Wheat (Big Spruce's American Wheat comp brew) Tap #4: Cascadian Red Ale Tap #5: Orbit Pale Ale Tap #6: Mandarina Bravaira Ale Tap #7: Dos Amigo Lager In the Bucket: Apple-Peach Honey Cider, Garrison Comp Robust Porter (test #1) In the Carboy: Mandarina Bravaira Ale Kegged and Parked 3 Scots & a Frenchman

Quick Reply