Fermenting with a Vengeance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hiya.
First batch is going, and 24 hours in the brew was seeping out from under the cap at the top of the airlock. We have a five gallon batch in the six gallon kit fermenter bucket and an S-shaped plastic airlock. We're using Cooper's Canadian Blonde kit.
The airlock and fermenter are making noises the fermenting is so intense, and some yeast is starting to creep into the airlock, and stuff's being forced out from under the cap. We took the advice of the LHBS and removed/cleaned/replaced the lock, and the fermentation restarted with a vigor that's got it all making noises and seeping out from under the lock's cap. How often should I be cleaning it out? Is it worth concern?
Garrett

Yea keep the airlock clean, but it should be settling down after day or two.
sounds like ya got a good one going.

We followed the advice from other threads here and ran a hose from where the airlock was attached and ran it to the bottling bucket, with an inch of sanitized solution at the bottom. This seems to be taking care of things. The fermenting bucket was really pressurized top and bottom. Glad we did this.
Garrett

We followed the advice from other threads here and ran a hose from where the airlock was attached and ran it to the bottling bucket, with an inch of sanitized solution at the bottom. This seems to be taking care of things. The fermenting bucket was really pressurized top and bottom. Glad we did this.
Garrett

most of us use a .5-1g container for a blowoff bucket, they are easier to move than your bottling bucket. I have been using my daughter's empty 1/2gal apple juice bottles as blowoff buckets latley.

As far as i am concerned.... Blowoff is for Primary, airlock is for wine and secondary.

blowoff.jpg

Fermentation has calmed down. It was incredible the amount that ran off. Tonight we returned the cleaned airlock and are happy to watch the bubbles inside it. Thanks for all your support.
Garrett

Latest posts

Back