Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermenting Temps for a noob - how serious do I need to get?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #11
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Thanks for the advice. Man, this forum - and all you experts - are a real help. So glad I found you!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #12
wulfsburg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I live in Arizona, and I can tell you from a lot of "drinkable" beers I have made, it is extremely important.

I have come to terms, that until I build a temperature controlled cooling chamber, I will only be able to make great beer during the winter, when we do not turn on the heater. In Winter, the ambient temp of most of my house is in the mid to high 60's during the day, and lower 60's at night. It fluctuates a little, and sometimes, depending on how much the temp changes in a week, will depend on the outcome of the beer. As everyone else has stated, the process gives off heat, and is actually warmer in the bucket than the room itself.

The first year I brewed I did 135 gallons. About 50 gallons were done too warm. It was a learning process, but in the end, I discovered it was a big deal.

But don't worry, keep it within the temp on the yeast packet and you will end up with something really good.

And by the way, don't do what I did for the first 25 gallons and crack a bottle after 1 week. Wait at least 3 before trying your finished product.

Welcome to the Forum!

Old 12-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #13
squirrelly
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The best investment I made in brewing was my fermentation freezer. I got a 4 foot long 30 inch high chest freezer from a local appliance store for 200.00. The temp controller I have hooked up to it ran an even 45.00. For less than 250.00 I can ferment 3 stainless conicals at an even 59* all year round with no temp fluctuation.

I have heard jamil say on many occasions that no matter how good the recipe, how sophisticated the fermenter or equipment, the brewer will never make outstanding beer without proper temp control. I always recommend a fermentation fridge to new brewers before ever getting started in all grain. What's the point of buying all the all grain gear if you can't regulate temp control?

One aspect of brewing brewers neglect is yeast and yeast health. Without yeast we don't have beer, so take care of your yeast. If you want to see this for yourself brew a batch and split the wort between 2 fermenters. Using the same yeast, say 1056, keep one fermenter at 60* and the other at 68*. Note the difference between the two beers.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #14
Butter
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Since its your first brew I say just do it and ferment in your basement. No one on this forum can predict what temp your beer is going to ferment at. Neither will you until you let her rip and watch that little fermometer strip on your fermenter. Don't start making changes until you know what you need to change. My girlfriends basement is 66-68* and our beer fermentation at 66* no matter where we put it. Just get that first batch under your belt.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #15
stikman33
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I agree, I fretted a lot on my first batch about temp. Under the desk in my spare room next to an exterior wall the air temp is at 62*, on top of the desk its closer to 66*!

I fermented a smoked porter under the desk for 15 days before bottling, it cleared great, settled nice and came out really clean.

I'm still a novice myself, but since its exothermic in the low 60's is preferred, you should be fine!

Old 01-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #16
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 189

If it helps, I bought a used chest freezer off craigslist for $40 and built an eBay temperature controller for $50, so a little investment could go a long way with fermtation piece of mind

Old 01-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #17
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Since its your first brew I say just do it and ferment in your basement. No one on this forum can predict what temp your beer is going to ferment at. Neither will you until you let her rip and watch that little fermometer strip on your fermenter. Don't start making changes until you know what you need to change. My girlfriends basement is 66-68* and our beer fermentation at 66* no matter where we put it. Just get that first batch under your belt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikman33 View Post
I agree, I fretted a lot on my first batch about temp. Under the desk in my spare room next to an exterior wall the air temp is at 62*, on top of the desk its closer to 66*!

I fermented a smoked porter under the desk for 15 days before bottling, it cleared great, settled nice and came out really clean.

I'm still a novice myself, but since its exothermic in the low 60's is preferred, you should be fine!
Uncanny! Nearly a year and a day.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #18
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
Uncanny! Nearly a year and a day.
Yeah I was a little surprised it popped back up! I now have a temp controlled fridge my how time fly's!!!!!!!! From my first extract batch to all grain and temp control. Its totally consumed my life.
Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen
NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #19
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Love the new sigline too! I almost choked on coffee when Zul posted that.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
davekippen Likes This 

Quick Reply