Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermenting Temperature

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
Pierce
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Fermenting Temperature

Hey. I'm sure this has been asked, but I'm going to ask again.

I've got my fermenters in a cabinet in my dining room, mostly because its the only place I can keep them out of the way. However, I can seem to get the temperature down. The digital thermometer reads a high of 80 and low of 76 over the last 48 hours.

What kind of ill effects does this have on the fermenting process? Just wondering what to expect.

"I didn't do it. Unless I was suppose to do it. In that case, I definitely did do it." ~My response to everything.

Life is good. Death is pleasant. Its just the transition that is troublesome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

It depends on the yeast strain, really, since some strains can tolerate high temperatures better. That's still too high for any ale yeast strain, except for some saisons or possibly Belgians.

Most ale yeast strains will get fruity tasting at over about 72 degrees, and many will form "fusels" over 75 degrees. Fusels are "hot" tasting, and can cause headaches.

For your next batch, if you could put the fermenter in a water batch with a frozen water bottle, that can really drop the temperature.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
Crazytwoknobs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Water bath is what she meant. I think I have a diagram somewhere.

Marbles baby, marbles.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
Pierce
Recipes 

Ya. I understand the water bath concept. I was hoping to avoid it. I opened the cabinet doors this morning and the temperature has already dropped to 72 which is the temperature of the house.

I just found an old, ugly chest freezer for $50 on craigslist. Could I convert it to a fermentor chest with a ranco controller?

"I didn't do it. Unless I was suppose to do it. In that case, I definitely did do it." ~My response to everything.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5368 Times on 5227 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce View Post
I just found an old, ugly chest freezer for $50 on craigslist. Could I convert it to a fermentor chest with a ranco controller?
You sure can. $50 is a pretty good score. How big is is it?

Unless you have a basement that maintains a steady temp in the low to mid 60s, the best thing you can do for your beer is to set up a controlled fermentation chamber of some sort. It will cost a little up front and take up some space, but your beer will be far better and make it worth every penny.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
Pierce
Recipes 

Well it sounded like a 7 cu ft freezer, but someone else got to it first while I was cutting the yard and waiting for him to call back. Oh well time to keep looking.

My basement stays pretty cool during the fall, winter and early spring, but not so much during the summer. I will move my thermometer down there though and see how its doing.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5368 Times on 5227 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Dang, that's too bad about the freezer. But I'm sure more will pop up.

But a nice controllable environment is great as you progress through the hobby. There's just so much you can do experimenting with different temps using just one yeast strain, yet there are so many other strains out there that work best at different temps all together. So, it's just a lot easier and more fun to push a few buttons on your temp controller to achieve the result you're looking for instead of fighting with mother nature, messing with swamp coolers, and all of that.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've fermented my last few beers relatively hot and haven't really had any ill effects; it's not always guaranteed. A hefe, pale ale, and porter were all fermented in the mid to high 70s and i don't really detect any off flavors. Of course it makes perfect sense to play it safe and keep temps low, however. I'm probably going to stop pushing my luck this summer and get something set up soon.

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Quick Reply