Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermenting Temp question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Fermenting Temp question

I'm doing my first recipe a Taddy Porter and it calls for fermenting at 67 degrees.

My basement is 68 degrees - I assume they are talking about the actual brew and not room temp.

I have heard about a t-shirt/towel fan technique - how many degrees will that drop a brew???

My current beer is a kit and I paid no attention to the temp (which was 71 degrees). Learning as I go!

Plus - is the the entire time in the carboy or just the first week when it's really going???

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

The wet t-shirt and fan will probably get you 5-6 degrees, which should be just about perfect for when fermentation is really going (will compensate for the heate generated by the yeast).

After the first few days when the ferment settles down, you can just go with the ambient 68 in the basement and it should be good.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

With my t-shirt/icebath in a rubbermade tub setup I can get the temp strip outisde of the fermenter down to the high 50's with enough frozen ice bottles...I figure in the exothermic increase during fermentation of the inside of my fermenter being about 6 degrees. There's several pics of my setup in my gallery

Temp is only crucial in the first few days/first phases of fermentation...after that and after fermentation is complete, letting the temp creep up a few degrees is actualy good, as it will act as a diacetyl rest....there's a good thread on that from last week....I think it was called "hold the butter."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you don't already have one,get a stick-on thermometer (called a "fermometer") so you can keep track of the temp inside the carboy.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Got the stick on.

diacetyl - it was reading that thread that really got my brain cells going.

I want to learn EVERYTHING all at once but as we all know it's one step at a time.

It's funny - I was so pumped to start I got the equipment - got a Extract kit and started my first brew - now I'm learning what I did, why I'm doing it and what I SHOULD have done.

So my next brew ( a recipe) I can start all over - by next week I'll be thinking - RATS - I should have done this or that!!

Fascinating!

Thanks!

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
If you don't already have one,get a stick-on thermometer (called a "fermometer") so you can keep track of the temp inside the carboy.
I bought a couple of those the other week from my LHBS and they immediately de-laminated from water exposure when I had my carboys in a water bath.....WTF I'm going to have to inquire w/ my LHBS on this??

Old 07-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l View Post
I bought a couple of those the other week from my LHBS and they immediately de-laminated from water exposure when I had my carboys in a water bath.....WTF I'm going to have to inquire w/ my LHBS on this??
They can't be submerged in water very long. They should be ok if there is a wet t-shirt over it, or they are soaked for a day. But I have had two fall apart from keeping them in coolers full of water for a couple weeks.

Kevin

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

Old 07-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by findthefish View Post
They can't be submerged in water very long. They should be ok if there is a wet t-shirt over it, or they are soaked for a day. But I have had two fall apart from keeping them in coolers full of water for a couple weeks.
yeah, it didn't take long....shame they use water soluble glue on them.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
I want to learn EVERYTHING all at once but as we all know it's one step at a time.

It's funny - I was so pumped to start I got the equipment - got a Extract kit and started my first brew - now I'm learning what I did, why I'm doing it and what I SHOULD have done.

So my next brew ( a recipe) I can start all over - by next week I'll be thinking - RATS - I should have done this or that!!
The problem is there's more to learn than can possibly be remembered, especially in such short time. Those of us that have been here a while are still learning new stuff.

The basement sounds like a perfect place and the wet t-shirt comments are right on. They will drop the temp a few degrees. An ice water bath with a t-shirt and fan will drop the temp significantly, with very little equipment and cost.

As far as learning goes, I would recommend the following books:

How To Brew by John Palmer - Great for techniques beginning and advanced
Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels - Recipe Formulation
Brewing Classic Styles by John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff - Award winning recipes and guidelines and tips for every style

Also, besides this forum, there are some great podcasts out there. Jamil Zainasheff has an hour long podcast every two weeks covering a different style every show complete with recipes and how-to from start to finish for the style. Check out The Jamil Show on The Brewing Network
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 07-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #10
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks - have two of those books - will look into Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels - Recipe Formulation.

I love books - (37 poker books LOL).

I understand about never knowing everything - it's that base knowledge I want to absorb - I need a good foundation.

Quick Reply