Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermenting question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
CBlack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
If the container was kept covered,it probably be ok. And most give rehydration temps of between 90-105F. I did it at 90F,& it was the thickest yeast cream to date. But you have to get it down to within 10 degrees or so of current wort temp so you don't shock it. That's the piece of the puzzle I've been missing till that thread about rehydrating yeast kills?.
It was kept covered. It is a commercial container from Briess.

The wort and "starter" were easily within 10 degrees of each other when I pitched.

Following the advice of another shop, I pitched some dry PA yeast. Safale I believe?...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #12
CBlack
Recipes 

Since pitching the dry yeast it is now bubbling every 5-6 seconds. Hopefully it'll be ok.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
If the container was kept covered,it probably be ok. And most give rehydration temps of between 90-105F. I did it at 90F,& it was the thickest yeast cream to date. But you have to get it down to within 10 degrees or so of current wort temp so you don't shock it. That's the piece of the puzzle I've been missing till that thread about rehydrating yeast kills?.
You are confusing the issue, he said WL001, this is a liquid yeast. No rehydration necessary. Did you just mis-read the post?

Old 01-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
Demus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlack View Post
Since pitching the dry yeast it is now bubbling every 5-6 seconds. Hopefully it'll be ok.
Should do the trick. Make sure you read up on liquid yeasts and starters before you try using them again. You were given some very bad advice. The best defense against this is reading a good home brewing book like How to Brew, or "Yeast". With a good foundation from these you can easily tell when someone is talking from the wrong end!!

Old 01-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd be concerned about what you were propagating in your starter. I'm not sure what the temperature threshold of yeast is, but you may well have killed it when pitching into 120-130 F 'starter' wort. It doesn't seem like you got much if any from the starter.

But something was working in it since you had some slow bubbling after a couple of days.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #16
CBlack
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus View Post
Should do the trick. Make sure you read up on liquid yeasts and starters before you try using them again. You were given some very bad advice. The best defense against this is reading a good home brewing book like How to Brew, or "Yeast". With a good foundation from these you can easily tell when someone is talking from the wrong end!!
Thanks.

Checked on it this morning and it's churning away every 3 seconds.

Cheers

Old 01-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #17
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1908 Times on 1679 Posts
Likes Given: 1413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus View Post
You are confusing the issue, he said WL001, this is a liquid yeast. No rehydration necessary. Did you just mis-read the post?
Might've mis-read that part. But the same holds true for starters temp wise. The temps of the starter/wort should still be within 10 degrees of eachother. But the 90F water temp would still hold true for starters. To start off with anyway. I believe it does give the yeasties a stronger cell wall. Not to mention better reproduction.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:28 AM   #18
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Might've mis-read that part. But the same holds true for starters temp wise. The temps of the starter/wort should still be within 10 degrees of eachother. But the 90F water temp would still hold true for starters. To start off with anyway. I believe it does give the yeasties a stronger cell wall. Not to mention better reproduction.
Yeast and wort temps do not have to be close. I just pulled a Wyeast pack from the fridge and pitched into 60 degree wort. About a 20 degree difference, and I don't expect any issue.

NOTE: I would normally make a starter, but this is a Lambic Blend and I didn't want to propagate the yeast, so as to allow the other bugs to work.

This is the first time I have ever heard that starter worts should be 90F. No-one would ever pitch yeast into 90F wort (assuming they knew what they are doing). Where did you get this information.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #19
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

There seems to be a little mix up here. No one is really wrong, but maybe some points need to be clarified.

For yeast, cold -> warm is fine, and actually some people will say this is better, but warm -> cool will cause some of the yeast to prepare for dormancy instead of preparing to ferment the beer.

90F is great for propagating yeast, but bad for fermenting beer.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 01-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #20
Demus
Recipes 

Quote:
Got ya. Rehydration should be 95 to 105 though as recommended by experts. This isn't the pitching temperature though; the small volume of water used for rehydrating will cool to room temperature fairly quickly as the yeast absorb the water. By the time you have good creamy yeast, youi should be down to that 10 degree differential you are talking about...

Quick Reply