Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermenting question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
rcgriff88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermenting question

Have a Mr. Beer kit and have my first batch fermenting since Monday night and as I read through many of the beginners post I see alot of people mentioning primary and secondary fermenters. With the mr. beer I'm sure all if not most are familiar with them and know they only come with the keg looking fermenter. So my question would be do I need to find and get my hands on a secondary or is not required with mr. beer and their extract because I'm currently waiting patiently waiting for my west coast pale ale ( that came in the kit) to finish. Any help is appreciated trying to grow my knowledge on my new addiction err hobby!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

On most beers you don't need to wort about a secondary, just let it primary for 3-4 weeks

Old 02-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
rcgriff88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh ok cool thanks because I've been reading the threads and im like damn did mr beer screw me with only one fermenter haha but I'm a noobie trying to learn ha thanks again

Old 02-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
tekkydave
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My only complaint with the mrbeer keg, is the bottling process. In my experience having a separate bottling bucket dramatically reduces the amount of trub that makes it into the bottle. That being said, it still is fun. I would recommend a 4 week primary to really let the yeast cake compact, and then let the bottles sit in the fridge as long as you are able, after carbonation is complete. I know the box says "makes 2 gallons of beer in two weeks! !!!" , but waiting longer will make for a better tasting, clearer beer.

Ive found that in brewing, the waiting is the hardest part, and its no different with mr beer.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 1158

^+1 The only reason you would need a secondary is if you wanted to add fruit or something like that after primary fermentation is complete. I use the Mr Beer too and it has been a great gateway drug... I drink it faster than I can make it, so I am in the process of accumulating peices for a bigger setup.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 02-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
rcgriff88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yea when I was watching the video while I was brewing it since im more of a visual learner the dude said 7 days but he recommended 14 days so I thought sweet it will be ready for st paddys day but after joining this forum I've learned that2 weeks will probably not be quite long enough.

I also have a few other questions one being should there be alot of bubbles while fermenting or just a small amount? I've seen alot of people talking about alot of bubbles or bubbles coming out of there blow off valve which I know I don't have haha. And my second question being I'm using the mr beer as a beginners stepping stone to improve my new hobby which I'm hooked and annoying my fiancé about haha, but when would it be a good time to make the transition to a better brew kit where extract isn't the primary usage in brewing.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
mpenn35
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

You can make the move any time you're ready. Once you're comfortable with the process, step up to extract with 5 or 6 gallon batches or extract with specialty grains, then PM and AG.

Primary: Cream Ale
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Wheat, Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout, Dubbel Trouble, Extra Special Bitter, Strawberry Blonde, Oatmeal Stout
On deck: Maple Stout, Milk Stout, Black IPA

Bring the Cup to Philly

Old 02-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

You will probably not see a very active ferment with Mr Beer yeast, I never did when I used it. Their yeast is a little weak IMO so I toss the yeast they provide in the boil as "food" for the good yeast I get from the Homebrew Store. You can do everything in a Mr Beer that you can do in any other kit except make 5 gallon batches... Expiriment with it. Once you get used to pre-hopped extract, use plain extract and add your own hops. If that is comfortable add some steeping grains. Then go partial mash, then whole grain once you are comfortable. The nice thing about the small size of the Mr Beer is that you can do brew in a bag with a paint strainer bag with your grains without needing as large of a pot.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
rcgriff88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info is there any videos or info out there on brewing non pre hopped extract or anything along those lines I know there's the how to brew book which I plan on getting in the near future but like more visual aids. And on another note there needs to be more home brew stores around so people like me don't have to drive out of their way to get one haha just saying thanks for the info tho.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I suggest that you check out this website http://howtobrew.com/. It has a lot of great information for the beginner. You can also purchase the book which is more updated, but this will get you pointed in the right direction.

- Winston Churchill

Quick Reply