Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermenting question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2006, 02:34 AM   #1
andyev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermenting question

Hey everyone,
This is my second batch and really my first in months. I've had beer in the first fermenter for a week now and am ready to move it to the second fermenter. When I opened up the plastic fermenter, there is still some sediment at the top. Is this normal and is it still ok for me to siphon to the 2nd fermenter?

Thanks,
Andy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2006, 03:22 AM   #2
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

How thick does the layer of gunk look? If it looks like a big, rocky turmoil, you're not done. However, if it looks like it's very thin or there are rafts of it floating around, you're probably fine. If you can see evidence that the layer was higher at time, this is also a good indication that primary fermentation is complete.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 08-06-2006, 03:31 AM   #3
NoBull6
Recipes 

Here's a good image to explain what Cheyco was saying (from my current batch). Just a few floaties and there is evidence of the Krausen around the edges. If it looks like this, time for secondary.

Primary - Amarillo IPA
Secondary - Nothing
Coming up - Apfelwein
Bottled - Caramel Wheat, Raspberry Wheat

Old 08-06-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
andyev
Recipes 

The picture is great. That is exactly what it looks like. I didn't know if I needed to wait until it's completely foam free on top or if it's ok to go ahead and move to the second fermenter. I'll move it this morning.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply