Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > fermenting problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2005, 09:19 PM   #11
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

3.4% is not unacceptable at all. I don't even know how much alcohol is in the beers I brew. My current batch tastes good, but I can tell that it's pretty low in alcohol... maybe even below 3%.

I tend to prefer more body in my beer, and I intentionally sacrifice alcohol content to acheive the mouthfeel I want.

If I want a big buzz, I'll throw back a couple shots of tequila and wash it down with a beer.

-walker

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2005, 10:39 PM   #12
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
If I want a big buzz, I'll throw back a couple shots of tequila and wash it down with a beer.
If you have to throw it back, it's nasty tequila. Really good tequila should be sipped, just like scotch. Try some Cabo Wabo or Patron (the Anejo version in either). It'll be the best $75 bucks you ever spent.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 09-28-2005, 12:25 AM   #13
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
If you have to throw it back, it's nasty tequila. Really good tequila should be sipped, just like scotch. Try some Cabo Wabo or Patron (the Anejo version in either). It'll be the best $75 bucks you ever spent.

are you crazy? I only drink patron in mixers! and cabo wabo?! you know that's Sammy Hagar's brand, right?

El Tosoro or Penca Azul for me. The best $100 you ever spent.

(the 'throw back' comment was not meant literally.)

Old 09-28-2005, 01:03 AM   #14
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Quote:
I only drink patron in mixers!
Sudster...we're gonna need that rope again!

Quote:
cabo wabo?! you know that's Sammy Hagar's brand, right?
No one ever said he could rock...just that he know's good tequila when it slobbernocks him.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
Secondary -

Old 09-28-2005, 04:02 AM   #15
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Well, while we're on a tangent let me throw my two cents in for Sauza Hornitos. Best 100% agave resonably priced tequila. I just can't justify drinking something that costs $50 or more for 750 ml.. but that's just me.

As to the ABV question.. we'll I like to have around 5% - 6% ABV in my beers. I start with enough 2 row to get me close and then adjust according to how much specialty malt is added. 50 bottles go a lot farther when you only drink one a night.. while I'm no alcoholic and don't really enjoy being inebriated I do think I'd feel cheated if my brews had 3% ABV. That's just me though.. no flames intended. I just want you to know that it IS ok to be concerned with the alcohol content of your brews.

To get that ABV up there you need more malt (either syrup or DME or grains for the AG brewer). Adding table sugar is a very bad idea - it can and will lead to off flavors. If you must up the ABV with sugar please do it with corn sugar (priming sugar). The problem with sugar of any kind is simply that it will not add any more maltiness, body, or color. It can lead to thin, lackluster beers. More malt is the better option... and if the beer is too thin for your liking then add some carapils/dextrin next time around.

I'm glad to hear my advice was useful.. the beer will fine, and 3.4% isn't terrible at all. It's perfectly acceptable but if you want to go higher then I'm certainly willing to help you get there. Next time you'll have to try an imperial stout - motor oil with 10% ABV or therabouts

And try using some sort of receipe program to help you project IBU's, SRM, ABV, etc. Qbrew, while very rudimentry, is free and works well enough for me. One day though I think I'll upgrade to promash..

Old 09-28-2005, 07:14 PM   #16
captaineriv
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lost, thanks once again for your advice. Being that I am a stout fan and that state law where I live limits beer in stores to around 6.0 or something like that, I might take you up on the imperial stout. As for the Sauza Hornitos, for it's price and degree of mass-production, it's damn decent stuff, although not sure I'd sip it straight. But I don't like sipping anything straight enough to pay $40+ for a 750ml bottle.

captaineriv

Old 09-28-2005, 07:21 PM   #17
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaineriv
But I don't like sipping anything straight enough to pay $40+ for a 750ml bottle.
Ah.. but this is because you've never tried a truely phenominal tequila. When you can sit and sip tequila with no need for salt, lime/lemon, or a chaser, you will see that it is quite a thing of beauty.

There are many things in life that, once you experience them, you can never go back to anything else; real maple syrup, good tequila, high-speed internet, high thread-count sheets, homebrew, etc.

I used to drink Patron. It was my favorite. Then I had El Tesoro and watched my bottle of Patron just sit there and gather dust. Now, don't get me wrong... Patron is a fine tequila. I just have found something much MUCH better in El Tesoro ($100/bottle.)

My friends and I usually go through 2 or 3 bottles of it over a 3 day weekend in Vegas.

-walker

Old 09-28-2005, 07:29 PM   #18
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Have to agree with Walker here...if you can't imagine sipping tequila, then you just haven't had any good tequila.

As for Patron vs El Tesoro...I'm willing to be fair about this. Send me your dusty bottle of Patron, along with a bottle of El Tesoro. I'll give them a fair taste and report back to you with my results. If necessary you may have your wife deliver them to me in her daisy dukes.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
Secondary -

Old 09-28-2005, 07:41 PM   #19
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
As for Patron vs El Tesoro...I'm willing to be fair about this. Send me your dusty bottle of Patron, along with a bottle of El Tesoro. I'll give them a fair taste and report back to you with my results. If necessary you may have your wife deliver them to me in her daisy dukes.

If you think I'm sending my wife to your house, scantily dressed, and hauling two bottles of Tequila, you are crazy.

-walker

Old 09-28-2005, 08:31 PM   #20
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Isn't that the least you can do for a guy who recently had no power?

When people ask what I do for a living, I say I brew beer. No, not as a profession, but to live.

Quick Reply