Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   Fermenting in plastic bucket or better bottle? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermenting-plastic-bucket-better-bottle-77925/)

Gabrew 08-27-2008 12:30 AM

Fermenting in plastic bucket or better bottle?
 
Hey everyone,

Are there any advantages to using a food grade plastic bucket over a carboy other than the fact that it protects from light damage.

Any reason why someone would prefer fermenting in a carboy rather than a pail?

Thanks

Gabriel

BigKahuna 08-27-2008 12:40 AM

If you ferment in a pail, and you leave the lid on the darn thing...it will keep you from making stupid "IS MY BEER RUINED?" Threads. You can't see what's going on...which is pretty entertaining, and part of the fun of glass!

I ferment in buckets cause they are very easy to clean....and i have 4 or 5 of them.

Engelramm 08-27-2008 12:56 AM

I used buckets for several batches then started buying Better Bottles. I like plastic because I am clumsy. Better Bottles Bounce!
I like to watch the yeast do its thing and the Better Bottles allow me to see it all happen. Plus, the stoppers seem to seal much better than the bucket lids, so I can get a better feel for how much activity is still going on by the airlock bubbles.

FSR402 08-27-2008 12:59 AM

I used buckets a lot but then I landed some glass carboys and started mixing those in. Once I picked up a BB I'm sold on them over glass.

As for your queston, I use what one I have open and clean at the time.

Dr Vorlauf 08-27-2008 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSR402 (Post 819729)
I used buckets a lot but then I landed some glass carboys and started mixing those in. Once I picked up a BB I'm sold on them over glass.

As for your queston, I use what one I have open and clean at the time.

+1 on all of the above

I am down sizing on my glass carboys. BB all the way.

Gabrew 08-27-2008 01:46 AM

So its a matter of taste!

Thanks for your input!

McGarnigle 08-27-2008 01:52 AM

Plastic pails are cheaper. If they weren't, fewer people would use them.

BeerPressure 08-27-2008 02:29 AM

Ale Pail hasnt failed me yet.

FSR402 08-28-2008 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McGarnigle (Post 819830)
Plastic pails are cheaper. If they weren't, fewer people would use them.

They are cheap and fast to clean. the carboys you need to let soak for a few days to clean them. If you want cheap and easy, the bucket is the way to go.

Moonpile 08-28-2008 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSR402 (Post 821646)
They are cheap and fast to clean. the carboys you need to let soak for a few days to clean them. If you want cheap and easy, the bucket is the way to go.

A carboy brush works just fine. No need to soak (though we do occasionally soak them, more out of laziness than anything else!).


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:12 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.