Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermenting in an open mouthed jar, covered with cheesecloth

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
Questor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermenting in an open mouthed jar, covered with cheesecloth

Hi, I'm a new brewer and I'm quite poor. I'm getting into this hobby quite slowly.

Currently I have two quart jars of ale fermenting in mason jars covered with cheesecloth (rubber banded down). It's a simple SMASH that I brewed the other day.

It's been 50 hours or so since I added approximately 1 gram of Safale-05 which I started as though I were making bread (warm water, sugar).

I have seen very, very little in the way of activity, even compared to my first run.

I have read on here that within 72 hours, just to wait, and also that no bubbles does not mean no activity. Sadly I do not have a gravity thingy.

Should I just relax and forget about it, or pitch some additional yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

What's your process and recipe?

BTW, I'd use aluminum foil instead of something permeable like cheesecloth.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
What's your process and recipe?

BTW, I'd use aluminum foil instead of something permeable like cheesecloth.
+1 on the use of sanitized tinfoil. Cheesecloth might keep insects out, but it's not stopping bacteria. With a widemouthed vessel like a jar, this is an even bigger concern.

But yeah, let's have a look at your recipe.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:15 AM   #4
Questor
Recipes 

I did a 21oz mash with 3/4 lb Breiss 6 row pale ale barley (1 hour), a 21oz sparge with approx 1/15 oz cascade hops (10 min), and then a 1 hour boil.

I brought the mix back to room temperature by backfilling what had been reduced to 15oz to 42oz by adding water.

After priming the yeast with warm water and a small amount of sugar, it was somewhat bubbly but not growing a head like baker's yeast does. I added it anyway.

Now I'm looking at what appears to be flat beer.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:21 AM   #5
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Hmm... it could be that your yeast were no longer viable. Or it could just be that you can't see what's going on. Either way, if/when you decide to upgrade your equipment, you'll definitely want a hydrometer so you can tell for sure what's going on in there.

I'd say give it another day, then if you still don't see anything, pitch another 1g per container. Just my two cents.

Edited: Oh yeah, and toss that cheesecloth in the trash. Replace with sanitized tinfoil. That is all.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Funny, the first home brewing I ever saw was 30 years ago and kind of like you describe. My fiancee (Ukrainian) does a wine on a recipe from her grandmother and it uses fresh fruit and airborne yeast for fermentation. She makes it too sweet for me but it comes out pretty good and no off flavors.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This kinda reminds me of this thread...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/breakthrough-how-brew-beer-5-days-99786/

You may find this and the thread I linked it it helpful...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/frugal-brewing-105251/

Heck if you even get an old mr beer fermenter at a garage sale for 5 bucks you'll be able to brew 1 case of beer....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply