Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermenting near hot water heater, HVAC, and washer drier.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
hollowdp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermenting near hot water heater, HVAC, and washer drier.

Well I've lost my spare bedroom/brewhouse to the new roommate but on the upside I'll have more funds to devote to my craft. Now, aside from the garage the only other viable space is under the stairs in the laundy room. However, I'm concerned that with it being right next to the hot water heater and the HVAC unit it would be less than ideal conditions. As long as I don't work with any open fermentation vessels with the heat/AC on should I be ok with airlocked carboys? Should I try to build an insulated fermentation chamber to try and reduce the fluctuations in temperature? Am I completely overthinking this? Another plus side is that there's a slop sink in there so I wouldn't have to go to far to clean things.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Take a quick- read themometer in there and check the temps. Do it at various times during the day to see how much temps fluctuate. That ought to give you an idea of your fermentation space.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 12-16-2007, 12:52 AM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

An insulated fermentation box is always a good idea. I'd spend $10 on a digital min/max thermometer and see what the variations are.

It is impossible to form an explosive mixture from fermentation. Exploding bottles are a different sort of thing.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply