Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermenting/KRAUSEN stopped after 30 hours?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
CBUDGO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Fermenting/KRAUSEN stopped after 30 hours?

No airlock activity, swirling of contents stopped. maybe 48 hrs max is that ok?

Brewed 7 days ago from a truebrew IPA kit. It took 3 to 4 days for the first bubbles to show. Then it really cranked for a while with 2 inches of foam and it was swimming in there. Temps in the ale range for the most part, swamp cooler.

Ideas? Is this ok?

Thanks all.

WorryWort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Bubble activity is NOT a way to judge what a fermentation is doing. All an airlock tells you is whether your airlock is bubbling or not, it's a VENT a VALVE to release excess co2. NOT a fermentation gauge.

You wanna know what your beer is doing (which is probably fermenting just fine) Take a HYDROMETER READING.

Then you won't need to worry...you'll KNOW what your beer is doing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
CBUDGO
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Bubble activity is NOT a way to judge what a fermentation is doing. All an airlock tells you is whether your airlock is bubbling or not, it's a VENT a VALVE to release excess co2. NOT a fermentation gauge.

You wanna know what your beer is doing (which is probably fermenting just fine) Take a HYDROMETER READING.

Then you won't need to worry...you'll KNOW what your beer is doing.
Thanks Revvy, I couldn't get an OG for a few reasons, so I don't know what to compare to.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Your recipe....Either it will tell you what your gravity should have been or typing the recipe into any brewing calculator will tell you what it was, then if the gravity reading is lower that that now, you know you have fermentation..

Or take a gravity reading, and another in 2 days, if it's the same it's done, if it's lower you have fermentation.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

CBUDGO Likes This 
Old 06-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
CBUDGO
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brilliant!

Thanks Revvy. 1st batCh to worried to think logically. Haha.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Creaturesofbrewery
Recipes 

Hi guys, sorry to but in can you take a gravity reading when ever or does this have a knock on effect.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
CBUDGO
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Just to a hydrometer reading and returned the sample!!

Then which trying to figure out my reading i saw a video that said don't return the sample!! Am I screwed?!? I hit everything with starsan including the sample jar/tube. And gave the inside a rinse with tap water and shook it empty to get a more accurate reading.
Reading was 1.019 in a 72 degree sample. BTW.

Quick Reply