BrewHardware Giveaway- Winners Drawn - 24 hours to claim!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermenting in Carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 04:28 AM   #1
rinhaak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Fermenting in Carboy?

I have one beer fermenting already in an AlePail. I would like to start another, but I don't want to buy another pail. Is it OK to ferment in my carboy? It's a five gallon carboy and I'd be doing a five gallon brew. I know I would have to add a blow hose. Will this produce a good product, or am I better off buying a second bucket (or just waiting)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 04:32 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 15

many (including me) don't even secondary. thousands of us ferment in carboys all the time

Taps:
1: Pilsen Ale (Pilsner made with US05)
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Hefeweizen
4: Hoegarden Saison
5: English Mild

Old 06-15-2011, 04:38 AM   #3
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

It will definitely produce a good product. One concern I have, is the 5 gallon size of the carboy. A blow-off tube would DEFINITELY be needed, but honestly, I would maybe cut it down to a 4 gallon batch if you want to primary ferment in it. Or just buy another bucket, and make apfelwein in the 5 gallon carboy. Buckets are pretty cheap, and apfelwein doesn't need headspace to ferment.

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-15-2011, 04:42 AM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1073 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 2165

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
It will definitely produce a good product. One concern I have, is the 5 gallon size of the carboy. A blow-off tube would DEFINITELY be needed, but honestly, I would maybe cut it down to a 4 gallon batch if you want to primary ferment in it. Or just buy another bucket, and make apfelwein in the 5 gallon carboy. Buckets are pretty cheap, and apfelwein doesn't need headspace to ferment.
wisdom and good advice there ^

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy

Old 06-15-2011, 04:46 AM   #5
lumpher
Recipes 

i ferment all my beers with no blowoff in several 5g containers (including apfelwein). i've had a blowoff 1 time ever under 1.060. what's the concern, ben?

Taps:

Old 06-15-2011, 04:50 AM   #6
beninan
Recipes 

lumpher- I'm not sure what I'm doing differently from you, but I always have around 1 gallon-or-so (well, the volume of 1 gallon-or-so) of krausen build-up in my fermenters. Are you saying, that in a 5 gallon carboy, fermenting a 5 gallon batch of beer, you have very little krausen?

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-15-2011, 04:58 AM   #7
lumpher
Recipes 

i have a decent krausen, but it never blows out. probably because i use dry yeast, which has a more level yeast buildup, instead of going drastic, then dying out like liquid yeast

Taps:

Old 06-15-2011, 05:05 AM   #8
rinhaak
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I would definitely be using a liquid yeast (likely wyeast 3787) so I would be expecting a lot of activity. Is a one foot blowoff hose all that's needed? I have a five foot hose on hand: would this actually be detrimental?

Old 06-15-2011, 05:09 AM   #9
Southernmost11
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I use four or five feet and run it into a bucket of water. I find the more grains or yeast or hops that gets through the strainer the more blowoff I get

Old 06-15-2011, 05:11 AM   #10
beninan
Recipes 

hmm, I have used a combination of dry, liquid, and re-harvested yeast of both types, and all of them have the same results. I don't mean to be going off topic rinhaak, but lumpher has my drunken mind all confused .

So lumpher, uhhh, are your carboys filled all the way up? like an inch or two from the top of the carboy? Are you sure you are fermenting a whole 5 gallons? How much headspace do you have when you ferment? Are you sure your carboys are 5 gallons? Is any krausen reaching your airlock/blowoff tube? I'm not sure how the condition of the yeast really makes a difference in what you will get for krausen. I'm not trying to say that you are wrong, and I know how reading something on the internet, without the "tone of voice", can be misleading, but I'm confused.

Quick Reply