Fermenting Bucket and Bottling Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popscube

Reaction score
Hello Everybody!

I'm brewing my very first batch of IPA for the very first time. So far everything looks good. I keep checking the airlock like I kept checking my wife when she was pregnant(every few hours and no fiddling). Can't wait until I "give birth" to a bottle of good beer. Anyway, I bought a kit and it came with a bottling bucket(spigot)and a fermenting bucket (no spigot). I got nervous and accidently put the beer in the bottling bucket. When it's time, would it hurt anything to siphon from the bottling bucket to the fermenting bucket, sanitize the bottling bucket, and then put the beer from the fermenting bucket back into the bottling bucket? The kit came with a carboy, would it be easier to put it into the carboy first, let it sit for a couple of days, and then put it back into the bottling bucket? :confused:

Thanks,
popscube

Me personally, I'd rack your IPA to a carboy, let it sit for at least a week, maybe two, depending on when you brewed it.

After it sits in the carboy (essentially to let it clear some more), then rack it to your bottling bucket, bottle, and wait another three weeks, if you can. ;)

Most people will suggest a 1-2-3 method for your first couple of beers.
1 week in the primary (in this case, your bottling bucket)
2 weeks in a secondary vessel (in this case, your carboy)
3 weeks in the bottle before drinking.

RDWHAHB

and be patient :)

The less you move your beer around the better. It sounds like you don't plan on using a secondary since you didn't mention that you have a glass carboy or better bottle.

I'd probably just boil up the priming sugar and rack from your bottling bucket (which you used as a primary) to your primary (which you currently have empty) then use your auto siphon and bottling wand to bottle.

Learn from the mistake and you'll be able to use your spigot to bottle your next batch.

Some of us prefer 3-4 weeks primary then straight to keg/bottling bucket. And sanitise anything that your beer will come in contact with!

PATIENCE is a necessity for this hobby. But that first brew is a hard one for that. :)

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
PATIENCE is a necessity for this hobby. But that first brew is a hard one for that. :)
So what is our excuse on the 300th batch? *grin*

Back