Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermenting in bottling bucket... To rack or not to rack?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
FoundlingOfDollar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermenting in bottling bucket... To rack or not to rack?

I am brewing my first batch with my own setup (I have been brewing with a friend), and currently I only have a 7gal bottling bucket and a 5 gal glass carboy. The bottling spigot didn't have any leaks, so I am currently brewing an AHS Belgian White in my bottling bucket. I am hoping to bottle with my brother when he comes in to town for Thanksgiving, which will give this beer about 3 1/2 weeks in primary. I was thinking that I would need to rack to the carboy, clean the bottling bucket, put the priming sugar solution in the bucket and rack back to the bucket before I bottle. If this is what I should so, when should I do each step and how much time should I leave between each?

OR, is there a way to bottle straight from the bottling bucket? Will the trub likely come up the spigot? If not, how do I add the priming sugar and mix it evenly without disturbing the trub?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You'll need to transfer to another vessel and clean your bottling bucket. Just mixing the priming sugar will stir up a ton of sediment into your beer. When I first got started, I did the same thing. I just racked to another carboy/bucket for as long as it took me to clean the bottling bucket and boil some priming sugar. Then I transferred back. No need to wait in between steps.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 11-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
bakeup
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you just add the sugar, you will stir up the trub. Just let it resettle for a while.

Ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
FoundlingOfDollar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, this is what I was guessing I would need to do, but I was thinking I might need to leave a few days between rackings. I was hoping I would be able to both bottle on Thanksgiving and give the beer 3+ weeks on the yeast cake.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
FoundlingOfDollar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Transferring will also give me a chance to thoroughly resantize the spigot.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakeup View Post
If you just add the sugar, you will stir up the trub. Just let it resettle for a while.
And the chances of that sugar partially fermenting out and causing you to lose some of your carbonation would be much higher.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 11-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I was going to use my bottling bucket as a primary. I went to a beer class at my LHBS and decided that the bottling bucket was good for bottling (I also use it as a sanitation bucket) An extra bucket from my local store is only $13.00, I bought a bucket without a spigot for a primary. After moving my brew to the secondary (I have a better bottle carboy), I cleaned up the primary and plan to use that as a sanitation bucket during bottling and may just get a third bucket for use as a sanitation bucket.

I am not letting the lack of a $13.00 bucket allow me to ruin a $41.00 beer kit.

I know money is tight for any people, and when first starting up you do put out a fair amount of cash. I just got the basic kit and stuff I needed to brew, I am adding stuff as needed (example, last night I moved to the secondary so I went out and bought the auto siphon).

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 11-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
mlanoue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You could also use Coopers or Munton's carb tabs in the bottles, or sugar cubes. Then you'd just bottle straight from the spigot.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
bakeup
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
And the chances of that sugar partially fermenting out and causing you to lose some of your carbonation would be much higher.
You don't need to let it sit for a long time, maybe about an hour or so. I don't think that would be long enough to lose a significant amount of fermentability. When I started, I used Mr. Beer, and that's how I batch primed. The carbonation seemed fine.

Ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1640 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by billf2112 View Post
I was going to use my bottling bucket as a primary. I went to a beer class at my LHBS and decided that the bottling bucket was good for bottling (I also use it as a sanitation bucket) An extra bucket from my local store is only $13.00, I bought a bucket without a spigot for a primary. After moving my brew to the secondary (I have a better bottle carboy), I cleaned up the primary and plan to use that as a sanitation bucket during bottling and may just get a third bucket for use as a sanitation bucket.

I am not letting the lack of a $13.00 bucket allow me to ruin a $41.00 beer kit.

I know money is tight for any people, and when first starting up you do put out a fair amount of cash. I just got the basic kit and stuff I needed to brew, I am adding stuff as needed (example, last night I moved to the secondary so I went out and bought the auto siphon).
Good thoughts, $41 is an EXPENSIVE brew by the way. Do you have a LHBS?

I have enough for 6 good brews for $120 or so.

Quick Reply