Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermenting in a bottling bucket?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
jwalk4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Fermenting in a bottling bucket?

n00b question,

Can you ferment in the bottling bucket?

If not, why?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Geordan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Sure you can -- you can realistically ferment in anything (food safe) that will hold liquid. However, considering that buckets are so inexpensive, why would you want to tie up your bottling bucket with a fermenting batch?

Old 06-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can, but the spigot will be pretty much useless since the amount of trub produced by the end of fermentation will certainly block the outlet. I imagine you would need to rack it to another bottling bucket to bottle.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
gmcapone
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can, I've done it. Just be sure to remove the spigot and sanitize it thoroughly. Nasties can stay in the cracks there and ruin your beer if you don't. Also, make sure you have an extra bottling bucket handy. Otherwise you'll be forced to rack to a bucket with no spigot and bottle from there or add another step and rack back to your cleaned bottling bucket.

Primary 1: Doppelbock
Primary 2: Dubbel (Demaciale)
Bottled/Kegged:Storm Giant IPA, Bananas Foster Ale, Storm Giant IPA, Black IPA (Head Hop IPA), Hefeweizen, Chipotle Ale (Juan More Cerveza)

Old 06-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1876 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 2699

I like to ferment in a bottling bucket. Once it finishes I just put a tube on the drain and rack to the keg. The trub level is usually below the drain port.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
BrewinNoBorders
Recipes 

Likes Given: 13

If you shake and tilt the bucket back for a few days before racking, the trub will not be anywhere close to the spicket

Old 07-12-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
knightnorth
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewinNoBorders View Post
If you shake and tilt the bucket back for a few days before racking, the trub will not be anywhere close to the spicket
That's what I did my first time. I stuck a small piece of 2x4 under the side with the spigot during the whole fermentation. By the time I was ready to bottle the trub had all rested in the back corner away from the spigot. The hardest part was priming. How do you evenly mix the sugar? Carefully. Mix but try not to splash if you're going to add it to the bucket then try not to disturb the trub. I only ended up with 2 bottles that didn't carbonate right, but I was new and didn't know if I wanted to spend that much space/money into the hobby yet.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1909 Times on 1680 Posts
Likes Given: 1414

I have spigots on all my FV's,& the trub layer is always below the spigot level. I used my bottling bucket for a secondary once to oak an ale. It worked fine. But made bottling a bit akward.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
jehowe
Recipes 

I prefer siphoning to a separate bottling bucket, but it's not necessary. Coopers makes an excellent single container kit that you ferment and bottle from. At priming, potential trub disturbing issues are avoided by adding hard candy like 'drops' to each bottle.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1909 Times on 1680 Posts
Likes Given: 1414

The carb drops don't really help avoid trub issues. They just make priming quick & easy. You still have to allow time for the beer to settle out well before ataching the little bottler wand to the FV to fill the bottles. Their plastic FV's are designed to keep the trub layer below the spigot when dispensing to bottles.
When they carb up & conditiojn,they'll settle out clear in a matter of days. Then fridge time helps compact the trub on the bottom of the bottles.
Anyway,having a seperate secondary would make trub issues at bottling more minimal.

Quick Reply