Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy294

Reaction score
Well I have done my second brew its a coopers lager and I took some advise from reading the forum and I ditched the yeast that comes with it and I got myself a packet of us-05 yeast ( first time user )
I activated the yeast like the brew shop told me to ( put in cup with a bit of water cover let sit etc ) I had my brew tub sitting in a old fishing esky quarter filled with water to keep my brew at a lower temp .
So at the end before I added my yeast the temp strip was on about 22 celcius , so I added yeast in which at this stage was like a paste gave a bit of a mix around put the lid on and bubbler ( air lock ) now it's been approx 15hrs and nothing is happening . I checked temp this morning and it's sitting on about 22 still .
I noticed there is a few white tiny foam patches on top .
How long can it take for fermentation to start . This is first time I have used the us-05 yeast .

it can take a good while, sometimes over a full day before it really takes off noticeably. also, if you are using a bucket and trying to tell if its going just by if the airlock has bubbles in it, that is not a good way to do it. the bucket lid sometimes doesn't seal airtight, and the co2 escapes through there instead of the airlock. but if your noticing foam patches, it sounds like you are looking into the fermenter itself, and foam patches would indicate it is just getting started fermenting. a few more hours and you should see a lot of activity going.

Give it a few more hours it will start, sometimes fermention can take anywhere from 24-72 hours. Relax have a beer!

Awesome least I have movement there . Hopefully ill notice differece . First coopers lager my average temp was 25-27 with yeast which is supplied in tin .
This one already average temp is 22 with the us-05 yeast .
So I am assuming it will taste better .
My first one fermented within 7 days but I assume this at a lower temp will take longer to ferment .
I assume roughly 2 weeks

Awesome least I have movement there . Hopefully ill notice differece . First coopers lager my average temp was 25-27 with yeast which is supplied in tin .
This one already average temp is 22 with the us-05 yeast .
So I am assuming it will taste better .
My first one fermented within 7 days but I assume this at a lower temp will take longer to ferment .
I assume roughly 2 weeks

It won't take 2 weeks to ferment- usually active fermentation is done in about 5 days or so, but sometimes sooner or later depending in yeast health, temperatures, the yeast pitching rate, and ingredients.

22C is still pretty warm. Ideally, it would be under 22 for fermentation, ideally more like 19C, for the whole time.

Where I am in queensland , Australia . The average outside temp is 30-33 degrees celcius . So I'm doing a good job to 22 lol
. I started off with the 4 liters hot tap water then alternated from 10 fridge water and 10 tap and a bit of ice and it was 25 degrees celcius . Took a bit of cooking down lol .

Back