Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermenters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
Sillflu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermenters

Using a 5 gallon corny keg as fermenting vessel rather than a carboy, any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1270 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 584

If you search for "fermenting in corny" on this forum, you'll get plenty of people describing their experience. You'll end up needing to make a smaller batch and you'll need to get a air valve/lock on there, but they work fine and dandy.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I could see using a 10 gallon corny as a fermenter due to head space and the fact it won't let in light, but personally, I'd go with a carboy.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 03-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would go with a carboy too. If you ferment in a corny, it seems good on paper, but once you go to start drinking off of it, you run the risk of all kinds of sediment, or waiting for sediment. That of course, is depending on your setup. To me, carboys are better, and buckets are better yet since they are easier to clean.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Fermented in a 5 gallon corny, without issue... Use fermcap in the batch and chances are you won't even need a blow-off tube... You will want to pull the dip tube though and either use that post for the airlock, or pull the relief valve and use a small stopper there (for the airlock to go into)... You have options...

I see a lot of benefits from fermenting in corny kegs as well as Sanke kegs. I would advise leaving at least a couple of inches worth of headspace in it though. Don't try to cram more than 5 gallons in. If you made a starter, decant it and just pitch the yeast slurry. If it's a lot of yeast, reserve some of the wort in the fridge.

As already mentioned, there are other threads about doing all of this...

I will be bottling my first corny keg fermented batch this week... It was started on 2/26...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply