Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermenter lid blow off

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
jdround
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermenter lid blow off

So I finished brewing at 3am, and awoke at approximately 10am. At some point the lid blew off my fermenter pail and made a heck of a mess. Long story short, cleaned the lid up, and put it back on and it still seems active. I think it blew off just before I awoke, so I might have caught it early, but not sure.
OG is 1.061 – brewing sent all as planned.
So that being said, is this beer ruined or should it still be ok? NEVER had a lid blow off……

Cheers,
John

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2270 Times on 1976 Posts
Likes Given: 1703

With all that krausen & co2 production,it'll be fine as long as the lid was sanitized after cleaning it up. Dito with the airlock,although a blow off would've been cleaner...

Old 12-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
thadius856

Recipes 

Liked 601 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Probably not ruined.

Why type of fermentor is this?

I can't imagine a poly bucket blowing off its lid.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
thecad
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

What the heck were you making that blew the lid off? was there a airlock / blow off tube in place? I'd wait it out and give it a taste. If it tastes good (or at least drinkable) it's good enough for me,

Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

My wife had that happen with a batch of her beer in the BB ale pail. Loud pop right next to use as we were drinkin hb's & watchin videos.
thadius856 Likes This 
Old 12-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
jethro55
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Same thing happened to one of my coworkers. He put the lid back on after cleaning it and it made the best dog-gone belgian triple I have ever had.

I'd guess that as long as it is bubbling it would be worth the risk to continue.

But dang, that's too bad to wake up to that !

Next Up: Superbowl Stout

thadius856 Likes This 
Old 12-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
jdround
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am making a BB whisky barrel stout kit. Using a Ale Pale: I know crazy, never thought one of those lids could ever blow off (I am using an airlock btw)... Temp in the area I had it was around 72f. Moved it to an area of the house that is 68ish F. So that might help me out. I am still getting a great airlock activitiy, and it smells great. So should be ok.

In all my panic, I posted asap and like others did not google search this. Looks like it happens and all turns out good....

So fingers crossed....

BTW: no pics! To busy cleaning up the scene before my Wife gets up to worry about taking pictures.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

What gets me about the BB ale pails is how tight the lid snaps on. I just about can't pry it off with my fingers. But add some co2 pressure & POP! goes the lid.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I almost always start with a blow off tube now for primary. I had a close call a couple of months back. Came down the next morning after pitching and saw krausen had worked to the top of the lid and was getting into the airlock. I was probably an hour away from it gumming up completely, so I found a length of tube that would fit over the pipe that comes up on the inside of the 3 piece airlock and stuck that on there. I went ahead and made up another one so I can have 2 on hand at any timei and they work with all the stoppers I already have. Really, for no more than a couple of bucks, it's well worth the piece of mind it gives me.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
jdround
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
I almost always start with a blow off tube now for primary. I had a close call a couple of months back. Came down the next morning after pitching and saw krausen had worked to the top of the lid and was getting into the airlock. I was probably an hour away from it gumming up completely, so I found a length of tube that would fit over the pipe that comes up on the inside of the 3 piece airlock and stuck that on there. I went ahead and made up another one so I can have 2 on hand at any timei and they work with all the stoppers I already have. Really, for no more than a couple of bucks, it's well worth the piece of mind it gives me.
Because my airlock was still WAY to active, I just quickly took another lid, sanitised it along with a tube, and setup quickly setup my first blow off setup. The other end is in a pail with sanitized water. Think this is going to be the way I will go to for the primary going forward. Crazy morning.

Quick Reply