New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > fermentations always stop early...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste

Good call re recipes. I have heard a lot of comments about LME being less predictable in fermentation and less likely to achieve FG. I don't have enough experience to comment, but I have read it a lot.
Yes this is true but more like 1.020, not in the .30's

Are you sure you temperatures are correct and calibrated? If fermentation is too cold the yeast will quit on you.

You might want to try removing the primary from the chamber after active fermentation and let warm up a bit and gently rouse the yeast and see if you can get those last points.

In addition, are you going to secondary? If so, you need to verify FG first, if you are removing the beer off the yeast too soon the yeast may not fully attenuate as well.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Yes, all grain. Mash temps are correct. I aerate with pure 02, the disposable kind and an aerating stone thing from Morebeer.com for about a minute and then shake it up.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
LKABrewer

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

When in doubt, try a forced-ferment test. On your next batch, take a quart of your wort, plenty of yeast, and lots of o2 and ferment it at room temperature (70+) as if it were a starter (a stir plate is best). When it is finished, measure the gravity of that sample.

If your forced ferment test finished much lower than your whole batch, then you have a fermentation problem (not enough yeast/02, bad temps, etc).

If your forced ferment test finishes about the same as your whole batch, then you have a hot-side problem (recipe, mash temp, etc.).

For homebrew supplies and equipment in Fredericksburg, VA go to thebrewshop.biz.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #14
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Alright, will have to try that and see. Brewing another batch next week so I'll see what I come up with with the tester. Thanks!

Old 10-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #15
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
Good call re recipes. I have heard a lot of comments about LME being less predictable in fermentation and less likely to achieve FG. I don't have enough experience to comment, but I have read it a lot.
My first 3 brews were LME and they all finished below what I expected except for an imperial stout I did before I knew I needed a starter for bigger beers. That stopped way short. I also brew 3 gallon batches so a smack pack is the perfect size for my fermentations.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
duboman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFlow

My first 3 brews were LME and they all finished below what I expected except for an imperial stout I did before I knew I needed a starter for bigger beers. That stopped way short. I also brew 3 gallon batches so a smack pack is the perfect size for my fermentations.
Have you verified a smack pack alone is adequate by using a calculator? Not only is the batch size important but also the gravity and date on the pack which will reflect viability of yeast. You might be surprised to learn that you are still under pitching

Old 10-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 19

What would be the harm in just pitching a gram or two more yeast? If it tastes sweet, shouldn't the new yeast just continue where the old ones left off?

Fermenter 1 - Centennial Pale Ale
Fermenter 2 - Nothing
Bottle conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #18
duboman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk4 View Post
What would be the harm in just pitching a gram or two more yeast? If it tastes sweet, shouldn't the new yeast just continue where the old ones left off?
If the cause of the problem was less fermentable wort than no, additional yeast will not just finish it up. In addition you would no be pitching yeast into an alcohol environment which would cause them to stress out. Some people would recommend adding champagne yeast or a small starter at full krausen to combat this although results will vary.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo57 View Post
Yes, all grain. Mash temps are correct. I aerate with pure 02, the disposable kind and an aerating stone thing from Morebeer.com for about a minute and then shake it up.
I just changed from an Igloo MT to a direct fired MT and a couple of my batches mashed too high while I was dialing in the system. One of them stopped 10 pts short of estimated FG while the other was 8 pts short.

Mash temps was my first thought actually. It would explain the consistency of your results better then pretty much anything else. Are you using campden by any chance? When and how much?

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 72 batches and counting (as of 3/23/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #20
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
If the cause of the problem was less fermentable wort than no, additional yeast will not just finish it up. In addition you would no be pitching yeast into an alcohol environment which would cause them to stress out. Some people would recommend adding champagne yeast or a small starter at full krausen to combat this although results will vary.
Thanks for the info!

Fermenter 1 - Centennial Pale Ale
Fermenter 2 - Nothing
Bottle conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Oatmeal Stout

Quick Reply