Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > fermentations always stop early...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
Matteo57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Default fermentations always stop early...

So my fermentation's always finish with their gravity a lot higher than they should be.... usually around 8-12ish points higher. I know a couple points are reasonable just depending on different variants but not the 8-12ish that I usually get.
The last batch I did was a scotch ale that the O.G. was 1.084 and FG was 1.032 (Suppose to be 1.022-24. I used safale us-05 and oxygenated for a minute with the disposable pure 02 and shook it another minute or two for good measure.
I ferment in a chest freezer with a temp controller monitoring temps. I have the thermometer taped to the side of the carboy with some cardboard and a bit of paper towels holding it against the carboy to hopefully measure more of the inside temp of the carboy.... I'm pretty sure it's right there with what the beer temp is.
The last batch I did I was wondering if it was due to the carboy sitting against the bottom of the chest freezer and getting too cold too quickly and "giving a shot of sleepping pills" to the yeast to make them go dormant too early as it is getting closer to being done. So, I cut a few 2x4s in ft long sections and stored the carboy on top of these boards. Not much luck....
I'm getting annoying and not sure how else to try and figure this out. Spent money on the temp controller and chest freezer and now not sure if it's really helping much more than just a water bath in my bathroom!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #2
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 20

How are your pitching rates? Are you making any starters or rehydrating?

Check out Mr. Malty to find proper pitching rates for specific yeasts. http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Ultimately though, how does your beer taste?

Fermenter 1 - dry
Fermenter 2 - dusty
Bottle conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - various craft brews

Old 10-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #3
Matteo57
Recipes 

Follow mrmalty all the time. Rehydrating since more of the times I use the dry yeast but if I do use the others I do use starters.
Beer tastes good but some is a bit too sweet and not dry enough and you can tell it wasn't finished doing it's thing

Old 10-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

How are you measuring gravity?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 10-05-2012, 04:34 AM   #5
Matteo57
Recipes 

my hydrometer.. It is off by a few points but I take that into consideration when I check it.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:52 AM   #6
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 256 Posts

Are your OG's off as well?
Is your hydrometer reading 1.000 in pure water?
Are you reading at the calibrated temperature?

What temperature are you holding for the fermentation?

Old 10-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Matteo57
Recipes 

Most of my O.G.s are right on... unless I do something wrong obviously.. but otherwise no, they are correct.

Hydrometer reads 1.004 in pure water at 68. So when I do my reading I just subtract .004 from it.

depending on the yeast,.. I used to keep the temp monitor at a specific setting, for instance 65 or 66 and just leave it... lately, I have been setting at say 65 for the first 1-2 days of fermentation then up to around 67-68 for last few days in an effort to not put the yeasts to sleep early.... but that hasn't seemed to help either.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

What about recipes? Are these all-grain? Is your mash temp off?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 10-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
kblankenship11
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

How are you aerating? Even if you pitch right if there is no oxygen you will have trouble hitting your FG. I had a batch finish high a few months ago because I was too lazy to aerate properly, even though I did a starter.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13
What about recipes? Are these all-grain? Is your mash temp off?
Good call re recipes. I have heard a lot of comments about LME being less predictable in fermentation and less likely to achieve FG. I don't have enough experience to comment, but I have read it a lot.

Quick Reply