The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation while away on vacation...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 01:32 AM   #1
othevad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Fermentation while away on vacation...

Hey guys.

1st real post here. I started a batch of black IPA 17 days ago. I moved it to the secondary after 13 days. I am leaving for a week long vacation in about 36 hours and we plan on turning the heat off (I live in RI).
There isn't any real active fermentation going on now, but will this create any sort of foreseeable problem?
I was thinking if need be I could have my buddy take it to his house, but it seems like too much of a pain in the a%% and I know my wife won't want me leaving the heat on for some beer (Yeah... what's *her* problem?)

lemme know if you have any advice.
thanks much
-Evad Nomenclature

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
NorthRiverS
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Since most of the fermentation is probably done, it should be fine.

NRS

Old 12-29-2011, 01:37 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

If you moved it to a secondary, then fermentation should have been complete before you racked it. A secondary is for bulk aging and clearing a beer. Unless you added fruit or aditional sugar then no fermentation should be happening.

So there's no reason to worry about anything happening or not happening while your beer's in secondary except it clearing and conditioning. So unless your place is going to be freezing there's nothing to worry about.

If it's below the flocculation temp of whatever yeast you're using, then the yeast is just going to further drop out, just like cold crashing.

Relax and enjoy the trip.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-29-2011, 01:39 AM   #4
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

it'll only help it. enjoy

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 12-29-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
Jwood
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

yeah, shoot, just stick it in what will be the coldest part of the house and have all those yeast drop out while you are away. You'll come back to a beer that is ready to rack.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:52 AM   #6
othevad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Awesome.
thanks =D

Quick Reply