Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation too quick?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
Jakeorjacob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation too quick?

Brewed a breakfast-y stout three days ago. 2.5 pounds of grain (a one gallon batch) plus a quarter pound of brown sugar at flameout. Original gravity was 1.061.

Fermenting with about 1/3 a vial of WLP545 (Belgian Strong). Three days later the Brix is 8, which according to my calculations puts the current gravity somewhere around 1.015. This is only a few points off target, much quicker than any other batch I've brewed. Should I be nervous? Worried? Excited? Can I just bottle it?

Also, this is the first batch I've used yeast nutrient on (just one teaspoon) - is this the reason for my (apparent) success?

Trying to be cautiously optimistic but also don't want to get too excited about something that could be bad. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
masterfool101
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

What was the temperature of the fermentation. That, more than just about anything else, will affect fermentation time.

In the long run, I don't think it will matter much. You'll STILL want to give your brew time to condition . . at least a few weeks in the fermenter. Even though primary fermentation has neared completion, there are still some by-products that will be converted. Time is your friend

Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
Jakeorjacob
Recipes 

My fermentations usually stay around 72d in the winter. Definitely no colder than 70.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeorjacob View Post
My fermentations usually stay around 72d in the winter. Definitely no colder than 70.
Actual wort temp or ambient temp?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 12-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Jakeorjacob
Recipes 

Ambient, so I suppose it's warmer in the middle of the wort - or was when really active fermentation was going on.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

72 is the high for that yeast so it had a great time. Need to get that fermentation temp down to mid 60s next time.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 12-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeorjacob View Post
Ambient, so I suppose it's warmer in the middle of the wort - or was when really active fermentation was going on.
Yeah active fermentation can kick it up to 10 degrees higher. You're in Ypsi? You've got to have a closet cooler than that! ;-) (Spent 12 years in AA). Definitely want to monitor the actual wort temp next time.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Quick Reply