Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation too fast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
drunkenPanda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation too fast

So I haven't brewed in 4 years and I've encountered something I have never had this problem before. Basically we had left over grain and powdered malt from 4 years ago so we got new hops and yeast and proceeded to brew. After pitching the yeast I went to bed, only to awaken 4 hours later to find my airlock full of wort and foam coming out of the holes on top. Soon after I woke, while trying to figure out what to do, it popped its top. After checking to see if I was a victim of a drive-by, I cleaned the airlock, it was plugged and attached a blow off. Now foam is being pushed into the blow off bottle (I don't know what its called) and its gassing at a rate that would make cows blush.

I am afraid that its going to clog again and I won't catch it in time, resulting in a big mess. Did I do something wrong? We used old grain and malt but used the same brand and types of yeast and hops that lead us to 5 successful brews before. The room wasn't that hot - 65ish.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Must have been ultra-fermentable. Sounds crazy!

I'm curious to see how this one turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 10-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
drunkenPanda
Recipes 

I gave the wort a taste before it went in and it tasted sweeter than normal. I know before we used 7lbs of malt this time we used just over 6, so ....

Old 10-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
drunkenPanda
Recipes 

Went home today to check on my baby. Popped the top again. Looking in it does look like the foam has subsided a lot, so hopefully thats the end of that. That being said, its still bubbling at a good clip, just not as bad as before. The temp inside was 75 and room temp was 78.

Quick Reply