Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation Time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 04:43 AM   #1
Screech
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermentation Time?

I currently have a delirium tremens batch going in my primary from Austin Home Brew. My OG is 1.085 and FG is supposed to be around 1.017. The instructions say to leave it in the primary for 7 days, transfer to secondary for 7 days, then bottles for 6 weeks. I am going to skip the secondary and just keep it in the primary. Since the OG is so high how long would you guys recommend keeping it in the primary (I would think longer than 2 weeks as Austin recommends)? Is there a reason they only have 14 days of fermentation, then keeping it bottled for so long?

PS: I am using Belgian Abbev Ale 530 liquid yeast and SafBrew T58 dry yeast, along with a yeast fuel and alcohol booster if that matters at all. I made the liquid yeast starter only 5 hours before pitching also.

Kevin

Primary: Victory Hop Devil IPA

Bottled: Delirium Tremens

Bottled: Black Dog Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
cyclonite
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would recommend leaving that in the primary for at least 4 weeks so the yeast can properly clean up after themselves.

Search around the forums for the thread on long primaries for more information. I personally don't secondary unless I'm doing an odd addition or need a primary freed up ;-). I try to give every beer at least 3 weeks in primary.

Bottled: Blé de Minuit, Belgian Stout, Fuller's London Pride, Tripel Wit, Red, APA, Dubbel, Oatmeal Stout, RIS, Wee Heavy
Kegged: APA, Doppelbock, Spiced Cider, C3IPA

"Beer... Now there's a temporary solution!"

Old 03-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
Screech
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I understand that. I guess I was just wondering why they want me to ferment for only 2 weeks, then spend so long in the bottles. Most places recommend the 123 method. Is there something about the extra time in bottles that maybe has to do with cloning the beer?

Kevin

Old 03-13-2012, 05:25 AM   #4
cyclonite
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screech
I understand that. I guess I was just wondering why they want me to ferment for only 2 weeks, then spend so long in the bottles. Most places recommend the 123 method. Is there something about the extra time in bottles that maybe has to do with cloning the beer?

Kevin
I doubt it - most kits seem to have these same basic type of instructions. You can bulk age or age in bottles, but I think most people here will recommend staying in the fermenter at least 3 weeks. The only reason I can think of to bottle that quickly is to keep some diacetyl, which you probably don't want.
Bottled: Blé de Minuit, Belgian Stout, Fuller's London Pride, Tripel Wit, Red, APA, Dubbel, Oatmeal Stout, RIS, Wee Heavy
Kegged: APA, Doppelbock, Spiced Cider, C3IPA

"Beer... Now there's a temporary solution!"

Old 03-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Higher gravity beers take longer to carb and condition. Yeast work slowly in high alcohol environments. The 1-2-3 rule really only applies up to average gravity beers (up to about a 1.06 OG, 6-7% ABV max). Anything higher, then the rules start to change a bit.

Since your beer is very much a higher gravity brew, it is going to take every bit of 5-6 weeks in bottles stored at around 70F to properly carb and condition.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - EMPTY!
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Cherry Wood Smoked Cider
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 03-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I would leave it the primary for at least 4-6 weeks. Belgian yeasts can continue to work very slowly for a long time. After bottling the longer conditioning time does wonders for the flavor. Belgian yeasts are much different and really do improve considerably with age. Definitely set some aside and really let it age. I have some that have been in bottles for a year and they have just been getting better.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
Screech
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok so I definitely need to keep it in the bottles for at least 6 weeks then. What about time in the fermentor though, is about 3 to 4 weeks good enough as beergolf said? I am brewing this batch for a beach week with some friends which is on May 15. You guys think it will be pretty good by then? I wish I had started earlier after hearing some of these replies.

Kevin

Old 03-14-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
Screech
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK so I guess 4 weeks primary, 6 weeks bottle at the very least?

Kevin

Quick Reply