Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation temps in the first few days

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 01:28 AM   #1
HappyDrunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermentation temps in the first few days

I have a kinda strange question. I live in Texas, so brewing in the Summer is going to be an extreme challenge. My A/C just can't keep up in this old house with such little insulation when it's 110 outside. With work and everything going on, I can't keep adding bottles of ice at a fast enough rate because I won't be home. If I brew on a day when I have the next two or three off, and keep the temp nice and low during that time (which is when most fermenting seems to go on anyway), will my beer turn out decent?

My theory is that in the first few days, most of the fermenting happens. So if after these first few days the temp gets up to around 80, I will have minimal bad flavors produced because the rate of fermentation has slowed down so much. If anyone has any idea what the beer will turn out like, please let me know. Other wise, I guess I'll have to find an old fridge or freezer and rig up a thermostat to keep it in the 60's. Definitely not ideal, as I may have to move out of this big house into an apartment soon, and then it would be a waste.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #2
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 188 Posts

Well I can tell u I do just this. I have not got around to makin a ferm chamber yet so this is what I do. I use the cold water bath with ice bottles during the crazy fermentation time once the krasen falls I stop keeping temps low. I have aged beers at room temp for a couple of weeks to a mouth or two at normal room temp and had no problems yet I think the only time fermentation temps really matter are during high fermentation rates on normal ales I could be wrong but I'm going to continue my process for now hope this helps Chopps

Old 03-21-2012, 02:16 AM   #3
Daybis
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The only time I've had offer flavors have been during summer months when I've had a hard time controlling my fermentation temperatures. I think the only way to find out if keeping the beers at warmer temps after primary fermentation work is to just give it a try. However, I would recommend trying to keep the temps as low and stable as possible. I would try and find a fridge or chest freezer so you can build a fermentation chamber. You could try using a swamp cooler.

Ontap: Hard Cider
Primary: IIPA, All-Tythos IPA
On Deck: Munich Dunkel, Classic Rauch, Breakfast Porter, American Stout

Old 03-21-2012, 03:08 AM   #4
HappyDrunk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

@Joey: You give me hope! Thanks man!

@Daybis: I use a swamp cooler right now .. but like I said, I just can't be around enough to keep replacing ice packs/ ice bottles/ whatever. I guess I can just work on my method, try it out once 110 hits, and hope for the best! I appreciate the advice.

Thanks again for the replies, but I gotta ask ... do you guys experience TEXAS heat? Does it reach 110 in GA and MS? I've never been.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
antony
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDrunk View Post
Thanks again for the replies, but I gotta ask ... do you guys experience TEXAS heat? Does it reach 110 in GA and MS? I've never been.
yeah man, i'm in austin & getting ready for the summer myself. even recently its been upwards of eighty in the house on some days & i've been concerned about the beer in the other room too. i've decided that i'm brewing saisons for the summer until i can get a fridge rigged with a thermostat.

from what i've read, there's some strains that like the upper eighties...perfect for a texas summer indoors (provided you leave the thermostat set at 85).

good luck.
drinking (kegged!): blonde w/centennial & cascade | Red Ale (Wyeast Greenbelt)

Old 03-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #6
HappyDrunk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've never drank, much less thought about brewing a saison. I gotta go find some to see if I like it. Definitely seems like a good idea with the weather we get around here. Do you have any good brands to recommend?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
soberJim
Recipes 

I know from myself, higher temperature means a faster brew, which can be both a good and bad thing. The good meaning its quicker to bottle, the bad being the full flavour doesn't really come out, unless the beer is drunk slightly warmer than chilled, just enough so it feels cold on your throat. And I've done a brew with it reaching 41 degrees celcius, don't know how that compares.. but I know I shiver when its 70f, the main one I had fear for was my pilsner, it reached that incredibly high temp, am kinda surprised the yeast didn't die. No amount of ice packs around my brew tub could cool it by more than about 2 degrees, but here I am enjoying one right now.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
bkl63
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Whyst 1187 which is used by many brew pubs ferments extremely fast and is known to go from brew to drinking in 7 days.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
antony
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDrunk View Post
I've never drank, much less thought about brewing a saison. I gotta go find some to see if I like it. Definitely seems like a good idea with the weather we get around here. Do you have any good brands to recommend?
this is what i'm brewing next. i've read good things about the temperatures it can deal with. only on my sixth batch so i'm still working off recipes/kits. good luck.
drinking (kegged!): blonde w/centennial & cascade | Red Ale (Wyeast Greenbelt)

Old 03-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
dbhokie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Find an old fridge on craigs list for 50 bucks or maybe on the side of the road for free, clean it up and use it as a fermentation chamber.

Quick Reply