Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > fermentation temps after fermentation???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
RunNakeDnECU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default fermentation temps after fermentation???

So I have about 5 brews under my belt but im def. still a noob. My question is I have my scottish ale sitting in a bath wash so I could get the temp down to start ferment. After fermentation is done, i.e. 5-7 days can i age it at room temp? or does it need to keep in the mid 60's the whole time until I keg it? Cause from my understanding it needs to be in the mid 60's to ferment for the yeast, but once the yeast is done doing its "thang" it dosent matter as long as it dosent get too high up in temp.......sorry for the rambling, any insight would be greatful.

Primary: Raspberry Wit
Secondary: Air
Kegged: nothing
Bottle: nothing
Planned: xmas ale

Last edited by RunNakeDnECU; 04-21-2009 at 12:44 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
SUDDZIES
Recipes 

How high is you room temp? Just because the yeast have converted all the sugar to alcohol, doesnt mean they are done. Our little friends do alot of housekeeping after primary fermentation. I like to try to keep them in there comfort range as much as possible.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I would keep fermenting in the yeasts ideal range for a week or two after you hit your final gravity. The yeasts do indeed do some cleanup. At that point it is usually more desirable to cool the beer down as oppose to warm it up. The cold environment will "crash" sediment and produce a cleaner beer. Then bottle or keg.

On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear

Old 04-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Although it's nice to control it throughout the fermentation, in truth it is only crucial to keep the temps low for the first 48-72 hours of active fermentation. That's when the yeast will be more apt to produce off flavors if the temps are too high....after that, you really don't have to sweat it....

Since I swamp cool in th summer, I only bother or worry about changing the ice bottles for the first 3-4 days...then after that I just let the ambient water temp keep the temps from being too extreme.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
RunNakeDnECU
Recipes 

cool. thanks guys

Old 04-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
RunNakeDnECU
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUDDZIES View Post
How high is you room temp? Just because the yeast have converted all the sugar to alcohol, doesnt mean they are done. Our little friends do alot of housekeeping after primary fermentation. I like to try to keep them in there comfort range as much as possible.
Well since I lost my job and im only 24 I moved back in with the rents to save money b/c im getting married next year. So my parents dont like to run the AC during the summer since they have such a big house and it cost so much to cool, so we usually do the open window and fan method so im thinking i need to run down to lowes and get a bucket to fit the primary and just keep it in a swamp wash, what do you guys think

Old 04-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunNakeDnECU View Post
Well since I lost my job and im only 24 I moved back in with the rents to save money b/c im getting married next year. So my parents dont like to run the AC during the summer since they have such a big house and it cost so much to cool, so we usually do the open window and fan method so im thinking i need to run down to lowes and get a bucket to fit the primary and just keep it in a swamp wash, what do you guys think
We're coming up to warm weather brewing season. If you do a search for temp contol or swamp coolers you will see some off the ingenious ways we've come up with...mine's not too ingenuis, it's just a rubbermade bin that can hold 2 5 gallon buckets, or any other combination...plus t-shirts to work as water wicks.

I've gotten down to about 57 in the heat of summer with that setup.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
RunNakeDnECU
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
We're coming up to warm weather brewing season. If you do a search for temp contol or swamp coolers you will see some off the ingenious ways we've come up with...mine's not too ingenuis, it's just a rubbermade bin that can hold 2 5 gallon buckets, or any other combination...plus t-shirts to work as water wicks.

I've gotten down to about 57 in the heat of summer with that setup.
What temp do you keep your swamp water to keep it in the mid 60's in the bucket?

Old 04-22-2009, 01:40 AM   #9
RunNakeDnECU
Recipes 

bump............

Old 04-22-2009, 02:40 AM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
What temp do you keep your swamp water to keep it in the mid 60's in the bucket?
Quote:
bump............
If you're bumping for an answer from me...

I don't really have one...Um...The time I got a high 50's reading, that was the temp of the water bath.

But, I just dump a few frozen bottles into my swamp cooler and call it a day. I don't really sweat specifics....

As long as my bucket fermstrip is below 70, I don't really worry.

Quick Reply