Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation temperature too high?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Wigs
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation temperature too high?

Now that we are in the hot month of July, the basement is about as warm as it gets. Wondering if it's too warm. We brewed on Tuesday (7/3), and this morning (7/5) the ambient temp in the basement is 72. The thermometer on the bucket says 77 degrees. Is this an issue? My understanding is that 68-72 is the target temp...but is that ambient room temp, or temp of the beer? I'm not sure there is a cooler place to put the bucket, so we might just have to deal with it. Do we need to do something to bring the temp of the bucket/beer down? Pic below shows very active fermentation, but I'm worried this higher temp might produce some off flavors. Thoughts?

fermentation.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Minjin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Google Swamp Cooler.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 303

what kind of beer is it? the higher temps will produce off-flavors, which can be moderated by extended aging. you generally don't want to be fermenting in the 70s. you could look into the belgian styles, which ferment hotter

Old 07-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 610 Times on 517 Posts
Likes Given: 165

77 degrees is too warm.

Swamp Cooler - A large bucket or storage container filled with 6-8 inches of water. Set your fermenter in there and rotate frozen bottles of water to control your temperature. I don't find it too hard to keep the temperature of the wort in the low to mid sixties.

Added: Your vigorous fermentation could be a result of the higher temperatures. Rig a blow off tube on that fermenter ASAP, or you might be washing krausen off the ceiling soon!

Old 07-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2149 Times on 1538 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

Too hot. I try and get my fermenter down to about 62 or so. Yeast usually do fine at 60 ambient, as they tend to create their own heat while they work. Ideally you would keep the temp low and slowly raise it as the yeast slow down their metabolism.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Wigs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
what kind of beer is it? the higher temps will produce off-flavors, which can be moderated by extended aging. you generally don't want to be fermenting in the 70s. you could look into the belgian styles, which ferment hotter

It's an IPA. My buddy doesn't like Belgians, so that's not an option. When you say extended aging, you mean in the bottle, right?

Old 07-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
Wigs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
77 degrees is too warm.

Swamp Cooler - A large bucket or storage container filled with 6-8 inches of water. Set your fermenter in there and rotate frozen bottles of water to control your temperature. I don't find it too hard to keep the temperature of the wort in the low to mid sixties.

Added: Your vigorous fermentation could be a result of the higher temperatures. Rig a blow off tube on that fermenter ASAP, or you might be washing krausen off the ceiling soon!
If we get it in a swamp cooler and bring the temp down we shouldn't need the blow off tube, right? I'd rather get the temp right vs. rigging something new to control a possible blow off. But if you think both are needed, I'd also rather not screw up the beer!

Old 07-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
It's an IPA. My buddy doesn't like Belgians, so that's not an option. When you say extended aging, you mean in the bottle, right?
a bottle would be the typical place. you could age in a secondary if you want to

Old 07-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
Wigs
Recipes 

Deployed a swamp cooler, and the temp is dropping...now at 73 degrees. The frothy bubbling through the cap has subsided. Hoping to get the bucket temp down to 65ish...would that be good?

Old 07-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1108 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 1237

65ish is ideal IMO. I fermented my first batch too hot and it took a few months in bottles before it started to taste good. Since you caught it early on, I would suggest leaving it in the fermentor 3-4 weeks before bottling and then try one after it has been in the bottle 3 weeks and decide if it needs more aging.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Quick Reply