Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation temperature range

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
guttoc27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation temperature range

I understand about target fermentation temperatures, and how keeping a consistent fermentation temperature is important.

I'm curious, however, if there's a generally "acceptable" temperature range that fermentation can occur optimally at. Specifically regarding temperature "swings" within the active fermentation timeframe.

For example, "3-4 Deg. F swings during active fermentation are acceptable without noticeable effects," or "1-2 Deg blablabla."

Is there are generally accepted range that one can feel confident in?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 03:00 AM   #2
freisste
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttoc27
I understand about target fermentation temperatures, and how keeping a consistent fermentation temperature is important.

I'm curious, however, if there's a generally "acceptable" temperature range that fermentation can occur optimally at. Specifically regarding temperature "swings" within the active fermentation timeframe.

For example, "3-4 Deg. F swings during active fermentation are acceptable without noticeable effects," or "1-2 Deg blablabla."

Is there are generally accepted range that one can feel confident in?

Thanks!
Each different yeast has its own "sweet spot" for temperature. Sounds like you understand that.

As far as swings, I would say a few degrees is no big deal.

It is important to know which way the temperature swings. Going higher can result in off flavors. Going lower will likely just slow down the yeast.

Changing temperature a lot or very quickly can also shock the yeast which can stress them and cause off flavors.

If you use a swamp cooler, even passively, it will help a lot. When I say passively, I mean just put the fermenter in water to create an insulator with a lot of thermal inertia. You don't necessarily need to add ice to the water bath.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply