Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation and temperature

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 10:48 PM   #1
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Fermentation and temperature

When some one says they want to ferment at a certain temperature - is there a critical time for the temp to be controlled?

Do esters get developed during the violent fermentation or the resting period or some other time?

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2008, 11:09 PM   #2
eddie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The majority of esters, phenols and fusel alcohols are produced very early in the fermentation process when it is most active. Ideally, you would want fermentation control throughout the entire three week process but if you can only manage it during the most active period for space reason or whatever, that's okay. Your beer will still be fine so long as your uncontrolled temps and conditions aren't too wild.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:18 AM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts

I like to pitch cool and maintain temps in the optimum range for the first five days. After that I let the fermenter ride it out at room temp so I can put the next batch into my fermentation chiller. Temps are most important during the lag phase and first 48 hours of active fermentation since that is the period where esters are produced and yeast bud (multiply).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-03-2008, 04:10 AM   #4
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts

Thanks - I'm watching the temp lower in teh basement and thinking of what beers I should think about in the dead of winter. Not set up for lagers.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Quick Reply