Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation temperature = ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 04:31 AM   #1
mahilly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation temperature = ?

I just batched an Irish Stout using Safale us-05 yeast. The yeast has a temperature range of 59 to 75 F. Can anyone tell me what the expected difference might be in the final beer flavor between fermenting at the low temperature end compared to the high end?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Brocster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahilly View Post
I just batched an Irish Stout using Safale us-05 yeast. The yeast has a temperature range of 59 to 75 F. Can anyone tell me what the expected difference might be in the final beer flavor between fermenting at the low temperature end compared to the high end?
Basically, higher temps cause bi-products to be formed, esters mainly, at a rate and type that is different than lower temps. You'll generally get a more "fruity" flavor, or it might seem a bit more twangy. With S-05, my experience is that it gives a little residual sweet, fruity flavor at anything over 72 degrees, and although I do not know from first hand experience, I assume this increases as you get higher.

One way to think of this is not what flavors you will get as you go higher, but how much more crisp you will get as you go lower.

Bottled: Imperial Hefe, Saison, Apfelwein
Kegged: ESB, Foundation Stout, Brothers English IPA, Kolsch, Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Abbey Dubbel
Primary: Imperial Cherry Bavarian Hefe, Imperial Cherry Brussel Abbey
On Deck: World Class ESB, BKRye
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot." -- Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Old 08-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Also remember: the beer itself can be up to 5 degrees warmer than the room it's in, unless you have it sitting in water or another cooling method is used.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

+1, tho not hugely experienced yet, my first brew was pitched way too high, fermented way too high and fast (finished in 36 hours) and had so many off flavors I named it Assbock. Since then, I keep it on the low and slow end of things, and have been completely stoked at the results. I really think that aside from proper sanitation this is the most important factor. Temperature. Then Time. Good luck with your Stout!

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 08-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 100

I remember talking to a fellow at Flying Dog back in 2006 (Denver location) - he said they ferment all their ales at 62F Just some food for thought -

Quick Reply