Fermentation temp. question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyobrew22

Reaction score
I currently have a stout in my primary that started fermentation at 72 degrees. It started fermenting very strongly and did that for a day but since then the temperature had fallen to about 67 degrees for 3 days and the fermentation has been going a lot slower. I am having trouble regulating the temperature in the room and I expect it to get warm again today will these fluctuations have any effect on the beer? also, is the temp. change the reason fermentation slowed so quickly or was most of the action just over that fast?

I would say the slow down is more due to getting done than the temp... I would like to add another question... how importnt is temp control after the main fermentation is done? For example, I have 6 brews planned for the next few weeks. Do I need 6 tubs with water and ice or can I stagger the brewing by a week or two and use the tub to keep temp down during primary, then move to secondary with higher temps? or do I need to keep it cooled down the entire time?

I really think it is more the average temp during the ferment. It can take a few days for 5 or so gallons of liquid to react to a 3-4 degree change in temperature. My "fermentarium" fluctuates by 4 or 5 degrees during the day and I have had no problems yet! My beers tend to stay about 68 when fermenting then cool to about 64 when conditioning.

Thanks for the answers. I will be doing the 1-2-3 tecnique with this brew before really even trying one so we will see how it turns out. All my fermentation and conditioning will be taking place at these temps so I kinda have to stick to ales and stouts. Next 2 brews planned are a Hefe and an IPA. That will make 4 brews in my first 4 weeks of brewing; I'm excited!

Back