Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation temp.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrux View Post
I realize due to temp it will be slow going, but will/could there be off flavors because of the cold temp.
a number of people have reported an apricot flavor from S-05 at the lower end

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcomito View Post
I have the opposite problem. I am going to brew for the first time in southwest Florida where the avg temp is 80F. I am looking for a few ideas on making a homemade ferm temp control apparatus. I like the garbage can idea, I have two of those available. I heard that I could use ice blocks in the bath, but that seems rather labor intensive. Any ideas? I do have power available and a limited knowledge of it.
I ferment mine in a bathroom that has no windows and 1 small outer wall on the shady side of my house. I keep it in a bathtub of water filled to about 1/3 of the carboy . I drape a wet towel over it that extends into the water. I check to keep the towel wet. This keeps the temp pretty steady. If it starts to warm up, I use a fan to blow air across it. This works very well for me. My biggest concern is the fist 2-3 days of fermentation. I really work to keep the temp steady and in range the first few days.

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #13
hbtasdfg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The good thing about 5 gallons is that it is a pretty big amount of fluid and will take a long time too cool down as you know if you've ever left a bucket outside on a barely freezing night and noticed it didn't freeze at all but there was frost on your car. If your garage hits 35-65 there is a good chance the bucket doesn't cool as far or heat up to the max either, it might never get outside of 40-60.

Ideally you want to keep it in a location that's in the yeast's range like if you have an extra room put it in there and close the furnace vents in that room it should stay around 60 in there if you keep the house at 68 and it's that cold outside.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #14
LKABrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The big problem with temperature swings during fermentation is oxidation... as the beer warms and cools, it will pull o2 into the carboy and stale the beer. Try to keep the fermentation temps steady if possible.

For homebrew supplies and equipment in Fredericksburg, VA go to thebrewshop.biz.

hbtasdfg Likes This 
Old 12-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #15
jrcomito
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Thanks Yooper for the advice. We brewed 36 hours ago and we have a cool front coming through and the temp is in the 70's during the day and 50's at night. Seems like the right week to brew in Ft. Myers. I think I'll be using the water bath method as I already keep frozen blocks for the fishing cooler.

Quick Reply