New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation Stuck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
Berserker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation Stuck

Ok here is my situation. My last two batches have both gotten stuck at a FG of 1.022 or so. My first batch was a Blonde Cream Ale with an SG of 1.048 it sat in the primary for 3 weeks and in the secondary for 4 weeks. I have it bottled and tried it last night and it was actually quite good but not as much alcohol obviously. The second is an Irish Stout that I added DME to up the Alcohol content to about 7% I was hoping. It had a SG of 1.060 but an FG of 1.022 it was in the primary for 6 weeks and has been in the secondary now for about 2 weeks. I don't get why the yeast won't do more. I used WYeast Activator with a starter on the first and White labs with a starter on the second. Help me get out of this funk!!!

Also if you could help the blonde cream ale is a lot darker than I expected. More amber colored and my previous batch was quite dark as well. I use Super Irish Moss for clarity but the beer still seems darker and a little cloudy. Both taste great just dark color. The previous batch used gold LME from Midwest supply and the cream ale used the same. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
Mirage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What are your temps like?

On Tap: Heavenly Scourge Black IPA and Beecave Heffe
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Next: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale and Pliny the Elder Clone

Old 12-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
phidelt844
Recipes 

From my understanding, you will get less attenuation from extract. My last beer, an extract nut brown, sat in the primary for 4 weeks. OG 1.055, FG sat at 1.02. If you're sitting in the primary at 4 weeks and a secondary for an additional few weeks, I'd say it may be due to using an extract recipe.

Quick Reply