Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation stopped after 2 days?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #21
Deathblooms8788
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

I just found out the room its fermenting in was about 75 degree Fahrenheit whoops brought it to basement and itll stay there for a week

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #22
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathblooms8788 View Post
I just found out the room its fermenting in was about 75 degree Fahrenheit whoops brought it to basement and itll stay there for a week
Plan for more time... If the room was 75F, you can bet that the wort was fermenting at 80-85F. Pull a sample in another 2-3 weeks and see how it's progressed.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 09-08-2012, 01:56 AM   #23
Deathblooms8788
Recipes 

i bottled today and i got about 40 beers out of it. it tastes pretty good too! very exciting

Old 09-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #24
JLivermore
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just want to say thanks for all the great advice on this thread; I have this exact situation.

I am pretty sure I fermented too warm; water around carboy was around 72 degrees the first 2 - 3 days, airlock bubbling started after 2.5 days and lasted barely 24 hrs.

Kit instructions say keg after 48 hours of no bubbles, so I was thinking about doing it today.

This thread has me putting it off at least a week. (Though a week is probably all I can stand.)

Now I think the higher temp caused the quicker initial fermentation but more time will fix it up, which is great... PSI chart also great, and given how much time it can/should ferment I'm thinking I can get the next brew started as soon as this one is done, which is also excellent.

Cheers!

Old 09-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #25
AnnapolisBrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Deathbloom- Only 40 bottles? Did you brew 5 gallons or less and what size bottles did you use?

Old 09-09-2012, 01:27 AM   #26
Deathblooms8788
Recipes 

yeah i brewed 5 gallons, spilt some obviously and most of the bottles are 12 0z and i have a few 16 oz. i should of gotten 48 right? not too far off.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #27
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Like many others said the key to GOOD beer is patience I allways leave my beer sit for 30 days then bottle or keg and if your realy a patient brewer, you would let it age in the keg or bottle in the fridge for another 30 days, the 2 month stretch will have your buddies wanting your beer more than coor or bud The fermentation may be done but the flavors are not your numbers looked great the fermenting temp looked high try to keep it stable and a tad lower, realy try to avoid temp swings that realy screws things up... Also I NEVER take a reading before 30 days I just set it and forget it !! Every time you open the lid contamination might occure, believe me you will be sure your fermention is over in 30 days... If ever you like looking at your beer ferment in a glass or plastic carboy, always cool to see the stuff activate

If ever you have an earge to peak at your beer or rush it because 2 months is too long, just brew another one that will pass the time and at the same time have a rotation going, when you have 2 or 3 batches going time flyes like crazy I have 4 batches that are fermenting ageing carbing and drinking, my chain is going good, so 2 months.... Why not

Cheers

Old 09-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #28
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 145

+1 with jesseroberge.

The trick is to build up a supply while you brew. If you can let your batch "sit" it will usually pay off with a great tasting clear beer. If you're just getting started, buy come commerical beers you'd like to try to make and save the bottles. I would hit costco and buy their microbrew variety pack. My cost was about $19 (empties are $12) to get a decent beer, good bottles to reuse and a good carton to hold them in. So while your first batch is doing it's thing, build up your bottle supply.

Then for a bit try and brew a batch (5gal) every two-three weeks or so. For example yesterday I brewed a pumpkin stout. While I was brewing the stout, I was also transfering a red rye from the primary to the secondary for oaking. This way you build up an inventory of beers.

Right now I have 7 cases of beer. 3 have been ready to drink for a while now (since early summer) 2 other cases (mocha expresso stout) are now just ready and the last two have about another week or two and they're ready.

A little time, a little patience and you'll build up a nice inventory that will allow you to be patient, and patience is one of the best brewing skills to learn.

Cheers man.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #29
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 597 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Wow! You were really impatient weren't you! After all the advice you still bottled at 8 days unless I missed something. You also fermented warm.

Now wait at least 3 weeks before deciding that the beer is not carbonated.

With all the impatience I would not have high expectations for this one.

Brew more asap and try to be patient. You can make good beer but it will be better if you do not rush so much.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #30
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10
Wow! You were really impatient weren't you! After all the advice you still bottled at 8 days unless I missed something. You also fermented warm.

Now wait at least 3 weeks before deciding that the beer is not carbonated.

With all the impatience I would not have high expectations for this one.

Brew more asap and try to be patient. You can make good beer but it will be better if you do not rush so much.
+1 on this post !!

Quick Reply