Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation stopped after 1 day

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #11
NZGirl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Argh... I just read an article Revvy had linked in another post... along the lines of "evaluate before action"... once you've taken an action it's hard to undo it.

And never listen to your LHBS guy/girl... ask the guys/girls here.

Two days is too soon for secondary

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #12
IwanaBrich
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree I've never done it so fast before, but the fermentation appears finished and that is what the local HBS guy told me to do. In fact it is already clearing.

What is the reason for not racking?

Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #13
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 73

There is a lot of stuff that goes on after the bulk of fermentation stops. The yeast still have work to do cleaning up after themselves. I always let my beer wait for 3 weeks in the primary, then to the clearing tank if needed for conditioning.

Did you get consecutive SG readings before you racked? That is the only real way to know if your done.

my euro cent

Tim

"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"

Ferm 1: Colorado Common Cream Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: Pin Cushin IPA

Keg 1: House Amber Ale
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2014) - 40

Old 12-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #14
IwanaBrich
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, the SG was 1.008.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
ILOVEBEER23
Recipes 

I just made an amber ale & had similiar results, the fermentation stopped after 1 day. i pitched my yeast at 70 degrees like the directions said & the OG reading was right on as well. I guess time will tell!

Old 02-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER23 View Post
I just made an amber ale & had similiar results, the fermentation stopped after 1 day. i pitched my yeast at 70 degrees like the directions said & the OG reading was right on as well. I guess time will tell!
How do you know fermentation stopped? Fermentation doesn't just stop....Not once in the ANCIENT thread did anyone bother to ask what the OP meant by "fermentation stopped" or if the poster mean "Airlock Stoppped Bubbling" nor did it appear that anyone even asked if the op took a CURRENT GRAVITY. But you notice that the OP opened up the bucket and found out that indeed fermentation was going fine.....And learned that an airlock is NOT a fermentation gauge.

Bubbling doesn't really mean anything other than the airlock is bubbling. And airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it's a vent to bleed off EXCESS gas, be it oxygen or EXCESS co2. It shouldn't be looked at as anything else, because an airlock can bubble or stop bubbling for whatever reasons, including a change in temperature (gas expands and contracts depending on ambient temps) changes in barometric pressure (You can have bubbling or suckback in the airlock, depending on pressure on the fermenter) whether or not a truck is going by on the street, the vacuum cleaner is running, or your dog is trying to have sex with the fermenter. Or co2 can get out around the lid of the bucket or the bung...it doesn't matter how the co2 gets out, just that it is.

And bubbles don't coordinate with anything concrete within the fermenter either, "x bubbles/y minute" does NOT TRANSLATE to any numerical change in gravity....if an instruction says do something when bubbles do something per something, throw the instructions out.

Fermentation is not always dynamic, just because you can't see what's going on, doesn't mean nothing is going on. And just because your airlock starts up, and then slows down or stops in a few days, doesn't mean fermentation is over YET, it just means the excess co2 is not coming out of the airlock...not that the yeast is done.

The only way to know how your beer is doing is to take a hydrometer reading, if you're worried. But not until 72 hours have gone by. Then if you're still concerned, take one...then you'll know.

But don't try to discern what the yeast is doing by what the airlock is or isn't doing. All it is is a cheap piece of plastic, not a calibrated gauge of anything.

So I'm going to ask you, how do you KNOW fermentation has stopped, have you taken a CURRENT GRAVITY reading? If the answer is "no" then you don't KNOW if fermentation has or hasn't stopped.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
ILOVEBEER23
Recipes 

Ya your right, i'm just assuming it has stopped based on the lack of activity in the airlock, as you say its not a gauge. I'll just wait & take a gravity test soon!Hey you gave me a boost of confidence that i did'nt mess it up, thx

Old 02-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
biodarwin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwanaBrich View Post
I haven't brewed any beer for at least 5 years and I recently decided that I wanted to start up again. So yesterday I brewed a 5 gallon batch of Amber Ale (malt extract from a kit) and the fermentation stopped after 1 day. Could it be finished or will it start up again? Should I transfer it into my carboy now, or should I wait a couple more days?
I just did an Amber Ale and noticed the exact same thing. I went ahead and left it in the carboy for a total of 2 weeks, despite the fact it looked like it only fermented for a day or 2. Just bottled them on Saturday. Despite the fact it might be mostly done fermenting you will want to leave it in there so the yeast can clean up after itself.

Quick Reply