Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation stepped 7 days in..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
BillyVegas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation stepped 7 days in..

So- 7 days in and fermentation on the Fat Tire Clone and the Oatmeal stout has stopped.

Time for a Gravity Reading? Can I just take the airlock out and put the siphon hose in to get enough for a FG sample?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

They're probably finished, but I would give it at least a few more days to let the yeast clean up after themselves. You certainly could check the gravity if you like...are you planning to rack to secondary or leave it in primary for a while? There's not really much point in taking a gravity reading unless you're going to do something with it and want to be sure it's ready.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 12-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
BillyVegas
Recipes 

Well, I plan on letting it sit in primary for about 2 more weeks to settle and mature a bit... as opposed to going to secondary to just sit- I think it'll serve the same purpose. Plus I don't have secondary containers yet so... it works out.

I'm just anxious to see what the FG ended up at, and Im assuming since its done fermenting, the FG isn't going to change anymore from here on in.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Panzermann
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I would rack to secondary...I have become a big fan of the secondary method.

folgen Sie die Reinheitsgebot oder die Deutschen reinheit gesetz?

***No longer have time to keep up with all my batches***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I would love to find a loooong oldschool baster though, mine is a little short

Old 12-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #5
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You can take a hydrometer at any time. If you thinks it done, take a reading for information purposes. It won't hurt your beer. Since you are being good and letting it sit for a couple weeks, it will give you something to do while you wait.

I've never used a siphon for samples since I've always had a wine thief but I understand a sanitized turkey baster works really well for grabbing samples.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:48 AM   #6
BillyVegas
Recipes 

That works, but I'd rather not open the primary bucket all the way... that sucker is on there pretty tight and Id rather not disturb the seal... I *think* I could fit the siphon hose in the airlock hole to snatch a sample...

Wish I had a secondary... then i could get started on some new primarys!

Old 12-15-2008, 01:54 AM   #7
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyVegas View Post
That works, but I'd rather not open the primary bucket all the way... that sucker is on there pretty tight and Id rather not disturb the seal... I *think* I could fit the siphon hose in the airlock hole to snatch a sample...

Wish I had a secondary... then i could get started on some new primarys!
Why do that. Just start another brew in a new bucket. I never use secondary's for ales. There is no difference in the outcome.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 12-15-2008, 03:12 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Honestly, you can't decree that ferementation has stopper UNTIL you take a gravity reading..Your airlock is NOT a fermentation gauge...it is a pressure relief valve...Get outta the habit of using it as anything else...Half my beers never have a bubble in the airlock...If you go by airlock bubbling someday you are going to think you have a stuck ferementation when in reality you just never had enough CO2 to need venting...

You shouldn't NEED to ask advice about using a hydrometer...It should be the first thing you grab when you have any questions about your beer....It is the ONLY true gauge of fermentation activity. A cheap 2 dollar piece of chinese plastic shoved into a rubber grommet isn't.

Read this..http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/...before_action/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-15-2008, 03:16 AM   #9
Shonuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Honestly, you can't decree that ferementation has stopper UNTIL you take a gravity reading..Your airlock is NOT a fermentation gauge...it is a pressure relief valve...Get outta the habit of using it as anything else...Half my beers never have a bubble in the airlock...If you go by airlock bubbling someday you are going to think you have a stuck ferementation when in reality you just never had enough CO2 to need venting...

You shouldn't NEED to ask advice about using a hydrometer...It should be the first thing you grab when you have any questions about your beer....It is the ONLY true gauge of fermentation activity. A cheap 2 dollar piece of chinese plastic shoved into a rubber grommet isn't.

Read this..http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/...before_action/
I bet Revvy has posted this same reply 1,287 times.

"Only water I serve has got barley and hops in it." - Lil

Join the #1 HBT group "Michigan Mashers"

Join the #2 HBT group "Pacific Northwest Brewers"

Old 12-15-2008, 03:28 AM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonuff View Post
I bet Revvy has posted this same reply 1,287 times.

Wow, if you can break down my postcount THAT accurately, can you figure out what my first post EVER on here was? I thought it was in the Paris Hilton Panty thread...but I'm not sure.

Actually I think it's more like 3,468 myself...

It's just one of those bad brewing practices I wish we could excise from all the brewing books...it may have been a good gauge back 20 or more years ago when (When Charlie P wrote the bible of brewing, and bleach was the main sanitizer) and the main airlock used was the infallible S type, and especially those made of glass that sat heavily on the grommet or carboy bung and made a tight seal..but the cheap ass plastic ones, especially the 3 piecers are NOT reliable for that sort of thing...If the CO2 out gassing is not that strong, it's NOT gonna lift the middle bubbler, but that doesn't NECESSARILY mean the fermentation isn't happening, the yeasties could be just as busy as bees and for whatever reason the CO2 is just sitting on the surface, or sneaking out elsewhere....PLUS new brewers who are SO scared of infecting their beer are more willing to dump yeast into a beer than they are to take a hydro reading to know for sure...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 12-15-2008 at 03:31 AM.

Quick Reply