Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation Started again??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 04:54 AM   #1
BillTheSlink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermentation Started again??

Something weird has happened. I'll make a long story short. On the 8th I brewed an Abby Ale with WL 530. I started too cold and it took about two weeks to three weeks to finish out. I finally got around to transferring to secondary tonight. It was extremely clear and very good looking. I plan to store until bottling to be ready mid-October. Anyway, FG had been lock steady for over two weeks. When I racked and put the secondary airlock on (one of those plumbing types) it started bubbling like crazy again. Is this normal? BeerSmith predicted an FG of 1.013 and I have 1.014. I can't dream of it being a stuck fermentation restarting, nor an infection taking off that soon. What could it be?

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 05:17 AM   #2
WorryWort
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If the temperature changed upwards the beer is probably just releasing CO2. You'll have to take a hydrometer reading and see to be sure. But I bet that it's not fermenting, just off-gassing.

In Kegs - Barley Wine, Apfelwein, Wild BlackBerry Wheat, Coffee Oatmeal Porter

Gone - so many :(

Old 08-11-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
BillTheSlink
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you,
That would be it then because the primary was still sitting in a filled swamp cooler, but my glass secondary was just room temperature. Thank you for easing my concern. This promises to be a really good brew and I was freaking.

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Old 08-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
DixonBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorryWort View Post
If the temperature changed upwards the beer is probably just releasing CO2. You'll have to take a hydrometer reading and see to be sure. But I bet that it's not fermenting, just off-gassing.
+1

I agree, when i brewed my Chico Gold Pale Ale i had it in the primary for about 2 months, FG stayed the same, and i moved it to secondary for clarification. Next night airlock started again, and was pretty steady for a little bit....ended up with same FG and a great beer! Sit back and relax.

Quick Reply