Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation Start on 10gallon Batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
k47k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Fermentation Start on 10gallon Batch

I made a 10 gallon batch of esb the other day. split into two carboys. everything about these two are identical. i mixed 3 packets of s04, split between two cups to rehydrate. Pitched within 1 minute of each other. both carboys at the same temp.

As you can see one carboy fermentation is well underway, the other no signs whatsovever.

I am not alarmed at this point, just find it interesting that two carboys that are exactly the same start fermentation at different times. Only thing i can guess is the one that didnt start is closest to the compressor hump, possibly its a tad cooler than the other one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Maybe Sam Adams is staring at the carboy on the right and intimidating the yeast.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

dont sweat it. very normal. the causes can be many, just check back in a few days.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
k47k
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So the 2nd carboy started fermenting @36 hours the first was fermenting at 24 hours. Strange that there was a 12 hour difference when the two were pretty much identical. The 2nd doesn't seem to be fermenting as vigorous as the first.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

You prove the wild nature of those living micro organisms that we rely on so heavily. There is nothing "typical" in brewing...every fermentation is different, and should not be used to compare one with another...you can't do that.

No two fermentations are ever exactly the same.

When we are dealing with living creatures, there is a wild card factor in play..Just like with other animals, including humans...No two behave the same.

You can split a batch in half put them in 2 identical carboys, and pitch equal amounts of yeast from the same starter...and have them act completely differently...for some reason on a subatomic level...think about it...yeasties are small...1 degree difference in temp to us, could be a 50 degree difference to them...one fermenter can be a couple degrees warmer because it's closer to a vent all the way across the room and the yeasties take off...

Someone, Grinder I think posted a pic once of 2 carboys touching each other, and one one of the carboys the krausen had formed only on the side that touched the other carboy...probably reacting to the heat of the first fermentation....but it was like symbiotic or something...

With living micro-organisms there is always a wildcard factor in play...and yet the yeast rarely lets us down. So it is best just to rdwhahb and trust that they know to what they are doing.

That's why I tell new brewers, don't assume the worst with the yeast, realize that they've been making beer since long before our great great great grandfather copped his first buzz from a 40 of mickey's out back of the highschool, so they are the experts.

Yeasts are like teenagers, swmbos, and humans in general, they have their own individual way of doing things.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply