New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > fermentation slowwed way down. normal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
TheCollector
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default fermentation slowwed way down. normal?

I brewed around 4 in the morning Thursday. It's now sat evening and fermentation has slowed way down! Is this normal so soon? It was bubbling about 1 bubble per second for 2 days now its about 1 bubble per minute or so. Is it ok? Or am I paranoid?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 66

It's perfectly fine, the brewing process starts rapidly, then slows down, then the yeast cleans the beer up a bit. Just let it sit for 3 weeks and you should be golden.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
pellis007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

At the top of this section there is a sticky called Fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs. Check it out in your spare time...you will see that the frequency or intensity of the airlock bubbles have little bearing how how far along your beer is. As the poster above said...let it do it's thing for a good 2-3 weeks. The best way to tell if it's finished is with a hydrometer. After successive readings with no change over a number of days your fermentation should be finished. Then most people leave it in another week or so to let they yeast "clean-up" before bottling. So, you're good so far

Primary#1: Currently Empty
Primary#2: Currently Empty
Primary #3: Currently Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Rapture Red Ale, Blonde Ale
Kegged: Pete's Cream Ale
Drinking:Biermuncher's ESB, Kolsh, Pete's Winter Vanilla Porter, Honey Cream Ale, Robust Porter, Old Fezziwig Christmas Ale, Pete's Golden APA, Burt's IPA, Bells Two-Hearted IPA Clone, Chocolate Milk Stout
On Deck: Not sure yet.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Also do not use a bubbling airlock to judge the progress of your fermentation. The only way to be sure what is happening is to take gravity readings.

A beer can bubble on weather or temperature changes or not bubble because of an air leak or even that it is just not producing more co2 than can be contained in the vessel.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 106

quite normal . Sometimes it goes off so quick it blows out your air lock and you have to stick a tube in down to a glass of beer and wait for the excitement to stop and sometimes it is just fast going and in a couple days slows and then 3 days almost nothing . 4 days may be done mostly but really you should wait a week at very least so yeast can clean up their mess.
Always put some wort in a beer bottle , after you have added the yeast of course , and fold up a paper towel and twist tie it on the bottle so as to keep out crap . Use this to check your FG so you do not have to tap your fermenter .
Just because FG is same for two days does not mean you should bottle it or secondary it . Let it clean up . I got some very good advice from a guy on here that said 3 weeks in primary two in secondary

Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
TheCollector
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ok so you guys know its a high gravity. I think we decided it was probably OG 1.076. It's been in primary for 8 days now I guess. Some people have told me leave it primary for 3 weeks then just bottle. Others say 3 weeks primary 2 weeks secondarythen bottle. Others say 1 week primary 1 week secondary bottle..... So I was thinking maybe ill go middle of the road and do 2 weeks primary 2 weeks secondary then bottle. What do you guys think? I want to put the oak chips in the secondary so I do want to secondary I guess.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCollector
Ok so you guys know its a high gravity. I think we decided it was probably OG 1.076. It's been in primary for 8 days now I guess. Some people have told me leave it primary for 3 weeks then just bottle. Others say 3 weeks primary 2 weeks secondarythen bottle. Others say 1 week primary 1 week secondary bottle..... So I was thinking maybe ill go middle of the road and do 2 weeks primary 2 weeks secondary then bottle. What do you guys think? I want to put the oak chips in the secondary so I do want to secondary I guess.
IMO you leave the beer in primary 2 weeks and then rack onto the oak chips in secondary. Be sure to sanitize the oak by soaking in some bourbon, whiskey, vodka or boiling for several minutes.

You will want to pull a taste sample once per week to evaluate the flavor and package when you are satisfied with the infusion of flavor.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
TheCollector
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. The wait is killing me lol. Next question Temp fluctuations.... It fermented at about 76 the first few days. I checked the temp last night and it was at like 62 or 64 I raised it up off the floor in my pantry where it is setting. Will that make any problems?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 106

My 2 cents is this . The longer it sits in primary the less crap you will have to deal with when bottling . Secondary is not necessary but if you siphon off the primary then you will have fairly clean secondary and then even cleaner bottle time . How ever I do not normally use the secondary just sometimes .
The only difference I can see is that if you bottle quickly then you have more crap in the bottom of the bottle and you still need to let it sit for a long time , maybe longer to allow for it to condition and taste real good .
One week primary needs about 2 months in the bottle to taste good at least with brown or dark ales .
Do not know about putting in them wood chips so no advice there .

Old 01-06-2013, 02:49 AM   #10
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCollector View Post
Thanks for the help guys. The wait is killing me lol. Next question Temp fluctuations.... It fermented at about 76 the first few days. I checked the temp last night and it was at like 62 or 64 I raised it up off the floor in my pantry where it is setting. Will that make any problems?
At 76 degrees I'm not surprised it fermented that quick! What kind of beer are you brewing, there are a few styles that benefit from those exempts but most ales actually prefer where your temps are at now

If this was a traditional type ale then there is a concern for off favors at those warm temps. I would suggest extending the primary a couple weeks to help clean up. Have you taken a taste to see how it is?

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply