Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation Is Slowing Down
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
BrewMonkster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 98
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Default Fermentation Is Slowing Down

I did my first batch on the 15th, fermentation was going crazy by the next day. Checked today & it's really slowed down. I know that you don't have to do the carboy thing, but I wanna start another batch. Should I give it at least 5 days until I change it to the carboy? Once it's in the carboy, how long should it stay in it? Can I hop it more? What kind of hops can I use to do that? I like hoppy beer!!! Lol!!! Oh yeah, I used Brewers Best I.P.A. kit & used some chocolate malt. Sorry for all the newbie questions!!

__________________
BrewMonkster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
gelatin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 173
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Get a primary fermentation bucket for $10!

Give this one at least a week before secondary. Dry hop in there, try 1oz. of Citra for an American style IPA.

__________________
gelatin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beergolf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: collingswood, nj
Posts: 4,041
Liked 383 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

It has only been three days..

Step away from the fermenter and let the yeast do. its job.

The Brewers Best kits have terrible instruction after fermentation starts. You would be better off. just leaving it in the primary. for 3 weeks. Pick up another bucket to start the next batch in. You can rack it to the carboy but waituntil the gravity is down near where it is supposed to be.

__________________
beergolf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 02:40 AM   #4
BrewMonkster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 98
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Ok, I'll let it alone!!! Lol!!! When should I at least take a gravity reading? Instructions aren't that clear to me, that's why I joined to get knowledge from brews!! I can do the waiting thing, just don't wanna mess my first batch up!!! Thanks for all advice & help!!!

__________________
BrewMonkster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
Icenine61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: , Illinois
Posts: 30
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

You can take as many gravities as you want. Leave it in the primary for 2 1/2 weeks and take a gravity. At the 3 week mark take another if there's been no change it's done fermenting (and it should/will be).

Looks like the FG for your recipe is 1.014-1.017.

__________________

Primary- White House Honey Ale
Primary- Honey Kolsch
Primary- JOAM Mead
Bottled- Brickwarmer Holiday Red

Icenine61 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
timduncan200021
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: san antonio, texas
Posts: 69
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Default

+1 on the buying another bucket to start another batch, you want 2-3 weeks primary fermentation. If you move it now chances are that your beer is still fermenting. I enjoyed taking a hydrometer testing at one week to see how quickly the yeast attenuated and to get an early sample on the beer, although it won't taste like that when done. Then at 2 1/2 and again at 3

__________________
timduncan200021 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
BrewMonkster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 98
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Gonna wait til Tuesday to take a gravity reading, that will be a week. Don't really have the money to get a bucket right now, that's why I was asking about when I can transfer to a carboy. I know you don't have to. I plan on leaving my 2nd batch in the bucket the whole time. How close should it be to the FG before I transfer to the carboy? Once I get it in the carboy, I plan on leaving it in 2-3 weeks. Would like to dry hop, a member said to put the hops in when I transfer. Thanks for any & all help!!!

__________________
BrewMonkster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Solway, MN
Posts: 6,774
Liked 772 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMonkster View Post
Gonna wait til Tuesday to take a gravity reading, that will be a week. Don't really have the money to get a bucket right now, that's why I was asking about when I can transfer to a carboy. I know you don't have to. I plan on leaving my 2nd batch in the bucket the whole time. How close should it be to the FG before I transfer to the carboy? Once I get it in the carboy, I plan on leaving it in 2-3 weeks. Would like to dry hop, a member said to put the hops in when I transfer. Thanks for any & all help!!!
If you can't afford a bucket (about $15 with the grommet and airlock) how can you afford to brew? Check your priorities.

Your beer should be at FG before you transfer. That big yeast cake at the bottom of your fermenter does things to your beer that sometimes don't happen in the secondary.

If you dry hop you may want to wait a bit before adding them. Some people have had a vegetal flavor show up from the hops being in the beer too long. I'd suggest somewhere between 3 days to a week before you plan to bottle or keg the beer.
__________________
RM-MN is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
BrewMonkster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 98
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN

If you can't afford a bucket (about $15 with the grommet and airlock) how can you afford to brew? Check your priorities.

Your beer should be at FG before you transfer. That big yeast cake at the bottom of your fermenter does things to your beer that sometimes don't happen in the secondary.

If you dry hop you may want to wait a bit before adding them. Some people have had a vegetal flavor show up from the hops being in the beer too long. I'd suggest somewhere between 3 days to a week before you plan to bottle or keg the beer.
I'm on a set income, can't afford another bucket this month, the kit was a present, the I.P.A. Kit was a present & I bought a kit. So, what I was trying to do was start the kit I have now, it's a BB Milk Stout kit. That one I plan to leave in the primary from start to finish. Then next month get another bucket & kit. I was just trying to find out when I should/ can transfer to carboy? Lol!!! I'm figuring 11/2 wk in primary, then 2 wks in carboy or longer. Will that mess my beer up? A lot of good info here, but at times confusing!!! Lol!!!
__________________
BrewMonkster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
Coupleathree
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 59
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
If you can't afford a bucket (about $15 with the grommet and airlock) how can you afford to brew? Check your priorities.

.
Jeez. Some people might not be as fortunate as others. Doesn't mean you have to be a dick.
__________________
Coupleathree is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fermentation slowing scottv Mead Forum 4 12-11-2012 08:13 AM
Should fermentation be slowing down already? velorider11 Fermentation & Yeast 3 08-18-2012 06:35 AM
Slowing Fermentation with Dry Ice? bwittman Cider Forum 16 01-18-2012 04:09 AM
Slowing fermentation down wildfoodie Cider Forum 9 09-25-2010 01:41 PM
Fermentation Slowing jontanner Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 11-17-2006 11:14 AM