Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   Fermentation Is Slowing Down (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-slowing-down-382612/)

BrewMonkster 01-18-2013 11:24 PM

Fermentation Is Slowing Down
 
I did my first batch on the 15th, fermentation was going crazy by the next day. Checked today & it's really slowed down. I know that you don't have to do the carboy thing, but I wanna start another batch. Should I give it at least 5 days until I change it to the carboy? Once it's in the carboy, how long should it stay in it? Can I hop it more? What kind of hops can I use to do that? I like hoppy beer!!! Lol!!! Oh yeah, I used Brewers Best I.P.A. kit & used some chocolate malt. Sorry for all the newbie questions!!

gelatin 01-18-2013 11:44 PM

Get a primary fermentation bucket for $10!

Give this one at least a week before secondary. Dry hop in there, try 1oz. of Citra for an American style IPA.

beergolf 01-19-2013 12:50 AM

It has only been three days..

Step away from the fermenter and let the yeast do. its job.

The Brewers Best kits have terrible instruction after fermentation starts. You would be better off. just leaving it in the primary. for 3 weeks. Pick up another bucket to start the next batch in. You can rack it to the carboy but waituntil the gravity is down near where it is supposed to be.

BrewMonkster 01-19-2013 02:40 AM

Ok, I'll let it alone!!! Lol!!! When should I at least take a gravity reading? Instructions aren't that clear to me, that's why I joined to get knowledge from brews!! I can do the waiting thing, just don't wanna mess my first batch up!!! Thanks for all advice & help!!!

Icenine61 01-19-2013 05:19 AM

You can take as many gravities as you want. Leave it in the primary for 2 1/2 weeks and take a gravity. At the 3 week mark take another if there's been no change it's done fermenting (and it should/will be).

Looks like the FG for your recipe is 1.014-1.017.

timduncan200021 01-19-2013 05:28 AM

+1 on the buying another bucket to start another batch, you want 2-3 weeks primary fermentation. If you move it now chances are that your beer is still fermenting. I enjoyed taking a hydrometer testing at one week to see how quickly the yeast attenuated and to get an early sample on the beer, although it won't taste like that when done. Then at 2 1/2 and again at 3

BrewMonkster 01-20-2013 12:28 PM

Gonna wait til Tuesday to take a gravity reading, that will be a week. Don't really have the money to get a bucket right now, that's why I was asking about when I can transfer to a carboy. I know you don't have to. I plan on leaving my 2nd batch in the bucket the whole time. How close should it be to the FG before I transfer to the carboy? Once I get it in the carboy, I plan on leaving it in 2-3 weeks. Would like to dry hop, a member said to put the hops in when I transfer. Thanks for any & all help!!!

RM-MN 01-20-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrewMonkster (Post 4805576)
Gonna wait til Tuesday to take a gravity reading, that will be a week. Don't really have the money to get a bucket right now, that's why I was asking about when I can transfer to a carboy. I know you don't have to. I plan on leaving my 2nd batch in the bucket the whole time. How close should it be to the FG before I transfer to the carboy? Once I get it in the carboy, I plan on leaving it in 2-3 weeks. Would like to dry hop, a member said to put the hops in when I transfer. Thanks for any & all help!!!

If you can't afford a bucket (about $15 with the grommet and airlock) how can you afford to brew? Check your priorities.

Your beer should be at FG before you transfer. That big yeast cake at the bottom of your fermenter does things to your beer that sometimes don't happen in the secondary.

If you dry hop you may want to wait a bit before adding them. Some people have had a vegetal flavor show up from the hops being in the beer too long. I'd suggest somewhere between 3 days to a week before you plan to bottle or keg the beer.

BrewMonkster 01-20-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RM-MN

If you can't afford a bucket (about $15 with the grommet and airlock) how can you afford to brew? Check your priorities.

Your beer should be at FG before you transfer. That big yeast cake at the bottom of your fermenter does things to your beer that sometimes don't happen in the secondary.

If you dry hop you may want to wait a bit before adding them. Some people have had a vegetal flavor show up from the hops being in the beer too long. I'd suggest somewhere between 3 days to a week before you plan to bottle or keg the beer.

I'm on a set income, can't afford another bucket this month, the kit was a present, the I.P.A. Kit was a present & I bought a kit. So, what I was trying to do was start the kit I have now, it's a BB Milk Stout kit. That one I plan to leave in the primary from start to finish. Then next month get another bucket & kit. I was just trying to find out when I should/ can transfer to carboy? Lol!!! I'm figuring 11/2 wk in primary, then 2 wks in carboy or longer. Will that mess my beer up? A lot of good info here, but at times confusing!!! Lol!!!

Coupleathree 01-20-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RM-MN (Post 4805595)
If you can't afford a bucket (about $15 with the grommet and airlock) how can you afford to brew? Check your priorities.

.

Jeez. Some people might not be as fortunate as others. Doesn't mean you have to be a dick.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:54 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.