Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation slowed after 36 hrs - Problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
SkyDog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation slowed after 36 hrs - Problem?

Just brewed a batch Sunday afternoon. My Wyeast activator packet had frozen and didn't swell after 4 hours at room temp so I pitched some Munton's dry yeast (which I had put in luke warm water for 5 minutes) along with the Wyeast. I got some pretty good fermentation activity after about 12 hours but then I looked at it this morning and the activity in the carboy had dissapated and bubbling through the airlock was about half as frequent as yesterday. (This is after 36 hours total) Should I try to rouse the cake at the bottom to see if activity picks up? Do I need to pitch more yeast? or should I just wait and see what happens over the next couple of days?

This is just my second batch ever. The Fat Tire clone I brewed a few weeks ago had a high volume of internal activity for 4-5 days before it settled down. I used an activator packet with it too, but itswelled perfectly after about three hours and the fermantation became active within 4-5 hours.

Is there a lot of variance in fermentation activity among different strains of beer or should they all do pretty much the same?

What is your preferred yeast?

Sorry for all the questions but I am getting paranoid that I messed this batch up. Thanks for any help/answers you can provide.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Every fermentation is different. Even fermentations using the same yeast strain are different. I wouldn't worry at this point. Take a hydrometer reading after a week in primary and see where you're at. If the reading seems high, then you could try swirling to rouse things.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 02-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts

that dry yeast is going to ferment REALLY fast compared to your usual liquid. i use all dry and your description is pretty normal for me.

rahahb.

What's tappening? :D

Old 02-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
SkyDog
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. Although this is only my second batch ever I am really excited about this new hobby. I can't believe how good the first batch tastes. Hopefully, in a year or so, I'll be able to help others.

Cheers!!!!!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
AllGoNoShow
Recipes 

good to hear that is normal, i used the same dry yeast for my first batch this weekend in a True Brew Canadian Ale ingredient kit-same thing happened. Pretty active bubbles the first 48 hours or so and then rarely any at all.

Quick Reply