Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation Regimes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
davidcr80
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation Regimes

There seem to be plenty of ideas of how long to primary..if at all secondary..cold crashing, etc.

What are some thoughts on the best practices for fermenting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Rogue14
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I check the gravity. When I hit my FG I move to secondary for a couple of days just to get to help it clear up a bit more prior to bottling. The key is to check your gravity readings the beer will tell you when it is done. Whether you move it to secondary or not is up to you. Certainly if you are adding fruit or something else after fermentation is complete it might be cleaner to move it to secondary.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Brewing an ale, keep an eye on temp for the first few days, you want to stay pretty exact. After that, maybe let it rise a couple degrees. Keep in primary for a month. It will clear up after kegging.

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Rogue14
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 on temp control.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 314

Pitch the right amount of the right kind of yeast into a well oxygenated wort at the temperature that you will ferment at which I believe to be nearer the bottom end of the yeast's preferred temperature range instead of near the top. Maintain the temperature until the ferment slows, then let it warm to encourage the yeast to clean up and give them a couple weeks to do so.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:04 AM   #6
davidcr80
Recipes 

thanks for the feedback!!

1. how many days until you take a SG?
2. adding fruit etc-is that typically done after primary?
3. what temp is recomended for cold crashing?

Old 12-05-2011, 05:12 AM   #7
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I primary 2-3 weeks..if gravity is terminal then I rack to secondary and cold crash immediately in a fridge for 2-3 days then bottle. I would take the gravity after a couple of weeks then again in few days. If you want to use a secondary and the SG is steady then go ahead. if you don't want to secondary then let it set and clear then either bottle or cold crash.. I had an old cockfighter friend tell me one time about getting roosters ready for battle. There are a whole lotta little roads that lead to the same highway. Whatever works the best for you is what works best.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 12-05-2011, 05:17 AM   #8
davidcr80
Recipes 

is there any point in cold crash if i bottle?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:17 AM   #9
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcr80 View Post
is there any point in cold crash if i bottle?
It depends on who you ask. I like the fact that even after 3-4 weeks in primary, when I cold crash there is a layer of sedimant across the bottom of the carboy that is not going into my bottles.I still have planty of yeast to bottle carb and just bottle it cold and let it warm back up to room temp to carb.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 12-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #10
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I've been doing 2 weeks in primary now that I use a stir plate for my starters. I usually check the gravity the day I prep some starsan for getting my next yeast starter going. Then it takes 2-3 days for my starter to be ready. After that I move the primary to keg, clean out the carboy and put the new beer in the carboy.

-Retired Homebrewer

Quick Reply