Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation Readings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
PatMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation Readings

Today is day 5 of my primary fermentation for an Amber Ale. When should I take the first reading to find out if fermentation is done?

Also, what's the best way to take the readings? Sanitize the hydrometer and just plop it in the fermenter, or take a sample in a tube and do the reading? I don't have a fermtech thief.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Give it another 9 days or so. I usually wait 2 weeks before I start taking samples.

Do you have a turkey baster? Sanitize that guy, then suck up a sample and use that for your sample tube. Dumping your hydrometer into the carboy is a good way to break your hydrometer.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a little cylinder that I can take a sample oit of that I use to measure, but have been known to dump the whole hydrometer in there too (just be sure you can get it out). If you are planning on racking to secondary, take the first measurement then, if you are skipping secondary, wait another week or two.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

You have more patience than I did. I must have dipped my mits into my first beer every 45 minutes over the first three days. You'd have thought I was curing cancer or something.

At 5 days I'd say you can start taking 24 hour readings to gauge the beer. It's something to learn from.

I use a small (very small) SS sauce pot to dip out just enough beer to pour into the hydro tube...then of course...you have to drink the sample.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:17 AM   #5
PatMac
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
Give it another 9 days or so. I usually wait 2 weeks before I start taking samples.

I'm going to move it to secondary. Should I still wait this long to leave it in the primary? Isn't sitting on the dead yeast bad for the beer?

Old 02-26-2009, 01:18 AM   #6
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
I have a little cylinder that I can take a sample oit of that I use to measure, but have been known to dump the whole hydrometer in there too (just be sure you can get it out). ...
Why not just leave it in there? Sanitize it once and then you can check the gravity as needed. (note: I don't do this, but I might start now that I've thought of it)

Old 02-26-2009, 01:20 AM   #7
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMac View Post
I'm going to move it to secondary. Should I still wait this long to leave it in the primary? Isn't sitting on the dead yeast bad for the beer?
Technically, yes, but we'd have to be talking about a really long primary before you start noticing off flavors. Many people don't use a secondary at all, instead preferring to leave it in primary for about a month to let it clear out. I actually have an IPA I'm doing that with now.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:26 AM   #8
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
Why not just leave it in there? Sanitize it once and then you can check the gravity as needed. (note: I don't do this, but I might start now that I've thought of it)
A) Your hydrometer could become covered in krauzen, making it unreadable.
B) You can't use that hydrometer on other batches you have fermenting.
C) If it breaks inside the fermenter you have bits of broken glass in your beer, as well as whatever sort of metal your counterweight is made of. Some are steel, some are lead.
D) If you don't use a thief/baster, you no longer have hydro samples to drink.
Or E) all of the above.

I'm going with E.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:37 AM   #9
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
A) Your hydrometer could become covered in krauzen, making it unreadable.
B) You can't use that hydrometer on other batches you have fermenting.
C) If it breaks inside the fermenter you have bits of broken glass in your beer, as well as whatever sort of metal your counterweight is made of. Some are steel, some are lead.
D) If you don't use a thief/baster, you no longer have hydro samples to drink.
Or E) all of the above.

I'm going with E.
A) you could/should wait for the krausen to drop
B) True - but if you only brew one at a time...
C) Probably minimal risk
D) Good point!

My Beer Cellar

Old 02-26-2009, 02:43 AM   #10
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Quote:
A) you could/should wait for the krausen to drop
If you use pellet hops in your boil, it will be coated with the stuff. It just loves to settle out at the top for some reason.
Quote:
B) True - but if you only brew one at a time...
Then you need to step up your game.
Quote:
C) Probably minimal risk
You're probably right, but those things are crazy-fragile. It's just one less thing to have to worry about, and one less potential "OMG IS MY BEER RUINED???" thread.
Quote:
D) Good point!
Glad we agree on something.

Quick Reply