Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation question:

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 04:04 AM   #1
mtg4772
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default Fermentation question:

I'm brewing a blonde ale. I followed the directions except at the last 10 minutes of the boil I added a cinnamon stick. the whole thing must have disintegrated because it disappeared. Anyway, it's been about 27 hours since pitching the yeast and I'm not getting any activity. Also, the O.G. reading was 1.079. I'm not sure if the cinnamon stick is acting as an antifungal or the OG is too heavy? I'm a little frustrated and don't know how to save this batch. 6 Gallons by the way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't think the cinnamon is causing issues. I've heard on the BN people talk about using cinnamon in the mash to prevent oxidation of the wort (not sure if this is definitive). I think it was for the Monk's Blood... anyway.

1.079 is pretty damn high for a blonde ale, unless you mean a Belgian golden strong. What yeast strain are you using and what did you pitch - smack-pack, starter (what size?), etc.?

Old 01-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
HopLife
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

wow. 1.079 is super high gravity for a blonde. Post the grain bill/ extracts used as well as the volume collected.

How did you prepare the yeast before pitching. If you just dumped it in you may not see visible signs of fermentation for about 48 hours. Look into doing a 'yeast starter' to get a faster initial fermentation, especially when brewing beers over 1.060.

I would stick to simple recipes with no weird procedures or ingredients until you are sure you have a good process. It will be easier to identify issues with plain beer than beer that has a bunch of herbs, spices, fruit, and crap in it.

When you have a good handle on a recipe and style, then it becomes easy to experiment with non-traditional ingredients.

meh.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

where did you get your kit? what yeas tdid you use?

Old 01-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
mtg4772
Recipes 

Default yeast strain

yeast strain: White Lab's German Ale/Kolsch Yeast, net volume 35mls. It came in a vial. I took it out of the fridge, got it up to 70degrees, shook the vial opened it and put it in the wort/carboy.
Grains: it was a mix that i got from Seven Bridges Cooperative Organic Home Brewing and Home Coffee Roasting. gambrinus pilsner, great western 2 row malt, briess carpalis, briess caramel.
Extracts: about 1/8 lb of dry malt extract, about 1/2 a gallon of pure malt extract and 1 kilo of corn starch.
Potential alcohol by volume: 8%
BRIX: 15.5%

I may do a starter. Thanks for the info. Any other feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
mtg4772
Recipes 

Wow man! 36 hours and the krausen is finally starting to form.

First 12 hours I started to question my actions, at 24 hours i was ready to dump this one and brew another, at 26 hours i talked myself into figuring out the problem. This morning, at 36 hours, the Krausen is doing it's thing, and I'm one happy amatuer!

Old 01-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
mtg4772
Recipes 

Strange: I posted all my ingredients, specifications, methods and where I bought the stuff...twice. And, those 2 posts have not shown up yet? What's up with that? I have to wait for a moderator to review?

Old 01-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg4772
Wow man! 36 hours and the krausen is finally starting to form.

First 12 hours I started to question my actions, at 24 hours i was ready to dump this one and brew another, at 26 hours i talked myself into figuring out the problem. This morning, at 36 hours, the Krausen is doing it's thing, and I'm one happy amatuer!
Patience is the key!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #9
mtg4772
Recipes 

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #10
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm glad you've got an active fermentation, but I'm still confused as to how a kit Blond can even get close to 1.079! Was this a partial boil and you took the gravity before adding top-off water? Not trying to be smart, just thought there may be another issue to address

Quick Reply