Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 06:24 AM   #1
franklinswheat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation question

Is there anything wrong with fermenting in a vessel way larger than necessary? example 5 gallon batch in a 16 gallon fermentation vessel? if so what is considered reasonable? other than standard 6.5 to 5?

Hi

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #2
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Fermentation should be fine since your beer is going to create a LOT of CO2. However, I would be reluctant to open that fermenter for any reason because once you introduce air in there your already fermented beer won't release enough CO2 to push the oxygen out. If you're going to use that large of a vessel to ferment in I would suggest fermenting for 4 weeks and then going straight to bottling. 4 weeks should be enough time to ferment the most stubborn of beers and condition prior to bottling.

It's not ideal, but it will work. Ideal is the least amount of headspace you can get away with without risking the krausen exploding out the top.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
franklinswheat
Recipes 

basically the reason i ask.. currently i do 5 gal extract batches, but at some point i will be switching to 10gallon all grain. I'm interested in purchasing this as my vessel. http://www.ntotank.com/15gacobota.html i already established another thread where this model was discussed regarding whether or not its ok for beer, which we decided it was. question is how bad of an idea is it for smaller 5 gallon or even 10 gallon

Hi

Quick Reply